fish in cycle (follow along)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tested today...

LoL... DRUM ROLL........

pH 7.2

Ammonia 0.25 ppm

Nitrites 0 ppm

Nitrates 10 ppm

How we looking my friends?

( pulling hair out waiting for response lol )

haha you're fine. that ammonia 0.25 is annoying me.. why is it no matter when you test your ammonia is .25! but nitrates are fine means BB is working. good to go buddy have fun

NyteGTI said:
haha you're fine. that ammonia 0.25 is annoying me.. why is it no matter when you test your ammonia is .25! but nitrates are fine means BB is working. good to go buddy have fun

LoL annoys you? Hahaha imagine how I feel?! I need to relax. I'm testing like 3-4 times a day!! Imagine I run a fire department with a 2.4 million dollar budget, fight fires, cut people out of cars, make rescues(water,ice and high angle) among other things and a little fish tank has me on my toes! I will relax and just enjoy.

Thanks again. Enjoy your weekend.

Tested tonight. No water change since last Saturday.

pH 7.0-7.2 really really too close to call

Ammonia has been steady at 0.25

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 10

Temp is 78

Ammonia has been steady all week.

Also added another filter (aqua clear 110 and a air stone)

View attachment 60997

View attachment 60998

Last edited:
Tested and have a question. Only thing that changed is well... As some of you know I changed over to Africans. I use to have convicts.

Anyway the pH has risen. Not much but before if you read my posts on my readings it's always been borderline 7.0-7.2 now there's NO question, it's 7.6, what happened? Is this something to be concerned about? Oh only other thing was before I added the Africans I raised the temp to 78 from 76.

Every other reading has remained the same.

Should I do a water change? Haven't done one since last Saturday.

Ammonia 0.25

Nitrites 0

Nitrates a close 10-20

Well that's it for now.

you COULD do a change today it's fine. the reason for your increase could be the rocks you added in from your friend at the LFS

NyteGTI said:
you COULD do a change today it's fine. the reason for your increase could be the rocks you added in from your friend at the LFS

Hey NY!! It's me convict2161, something happened and I couldn't sign on or anything. I had to re register and start over. :( hopefully it will get straightened out soon.

Yeah I did add more rocks. Is that gonna hurt the fish? Or is everything cool. I saw those Cichlid caves where you could get like a 15 piece cheap on eBay. You think it's worth it?

Gonna do a water change tonight once the house settles down. Ya know baby and wife lol. I'll shut the door, put some music on and do my water change. Only gonna do 20-25%.

Hey NY!! It's me convict2161, something happened and I couldn't sign on or anything. I had to re register and start over. :( hopefully it will get straightened out soon.

Yeah I did add more rocks. Is that gonna hurt the fish? Or is everything cool. I saw those Cichlid caves where you could get like a 15 piece cheap on eBay. You think it's worth it?

Ahhhh I'm back!

No it wont hurt them at all. just keep it consistent. my water out of the tap is 7.0 but my rocks etc cause my PH to rise to about a 7.8 it's finne like we said just keep it consistent (y)

glad to see you got it all worked out. do you only login via your phone no PC?

Hey I got the same cichlid stone set (15 stones) I think it was $40 or so.Well worth the money.They look cool and the fish love em especially my catfish.As for the ap crashing I've had to reinstall it to my phone several times.For the most part it's fine though :)

Starting using the PC more now didn't realize how much more there was to the site. Now I can upgrade info and everything

And yea my wife is getting me 2 15 pack boxes of the Cichlid cave stones. So there will be a whole new set up I'm thinking within the next month. And I may can the air stone!! I think I can hear it from our bedroom!! I have very sensitive ears. I'm always saying to my wife... You hear it right? You hear the humming? What you don't hear that? How can you not hear that? She's gonna commit me soon.

But for real it does make a mean buzzing sound. I'll play it out a couple more days and see. I'm kinda falling in love with the look of the bubbles coming up an going through one of my logs, looks pretty awesome.

Yeah the bubbles do look nice.I used to have a 3 foot bubble wall at the back of the tank and it looked pretty cool but the way my intakes are set up on my 143g they would suck in Air and that would eventually burn out the motor on my filter so for the moment it's in it's box.

Hey convict , just read through this thread good stuff... I too listened to the lfs and did the fish in cycle. I'm 3 weeks in trying to keep the ammo around .25,0 nitrites and the nitrates just starting to change from yellow to orange. It has been that way for about 4 days. I haven't ever seen nitrites I should add that I used a start smart. Are you cycled yet?

Jgparker said:
Hey convict , just read through this thread good stuff... I too listened to the lfs and did the fish in cycle. I'm 3 weeks in trying to keep the ammo around .25,0 nitrites and the nitrates just starting to change from yellow to orange. It has been that way for about 4 days. I haven't ever seen nitrites I should add that I used a start smart. Are you cycled yet?

Yes I'm cycled and all is good. I heard good things about start smart so they have helped. Just keep up on water changes and keep testing. How much longer do you think you have? Also I too as you read never had a hint of nitrites the entire time. I really believe that the water changes and the filters from a friends tank really helped out.

Good luck!

Wow what a heckava story....I bet you wished you had read the fishless cycling thread before going thru all that work...Tank looks good though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom