Fish Rescue Project - all input and advice welcome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lev

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've seen something at work I just can't ignore...

So I'm currently doing an additional pediatrics fellowship so I'll be working on the children's ward for about 6 months.

They have what at first glance looks to be about a 60-80L long, unplanted with 3 baby orandas in!!!!!

Now the tank looks in bad nick, and the fish have all got what look to be ammonia burns and swimbladder. The consultants showing me around said they get new goldfish from pets at home every month!!!!

Tomorrow i'm finding out what kit they have and what care regime if any they've had and what their budget is. In also going to bring my testing kit.

In going to do my best to get the orandas healthy again (which might be futile) and if I'm successful will bag them and take them to LFS who have agreed to rehome them.

Then I need to try and get them sorted with a fairly low maintenance tank.

I was thinking about going planted, low light obv. They do have a heater so i could set it up as a guppy tank (the kids will love the colours) or i suppose the other option is leaving it temperate.

So... What are your thoughts? Obviously in only working on paeds for 6 months so it would be good to be able to teach someone a basic 1x weekly care regime. Does that rule plants out because of ferts?

Oh jeez.

That's rough. So many places hire a service to take care of their tanks. How traumatizing is it for the kids to see dead fish? If they are dying every month...

I need to think about this more.

To add to this, I'll be at that hospital for 18 months in different posts so would be happy to commit to being in charge of the tank for that duration.

I'm sure that f you offered your services to the appropriate person, they'd be happy to let you take care of the tank for them. You could probably find someone who works in the department full time that you could train to take over for you when your rotation is finished. Kudos on volunteering!

Back
Top Bottom