Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My team is in shambles... Just started our rebuilding. But hey, were a bball school through n through.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Off topic...Just a reminder to all of those college football maniacs out there, myself included haha, that we're under 2 weeks away from the first game. I might make a thread for college football talk in the aquaria off topic section if enough are interested. A little bit over 2 for any OSU fan that is wanting revenge against the Hokies too. Go Bucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Why isn't this thread made already? 15 days til kickoff!

Jesse

Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon High-Tech Tank

I'll be creating it soon! ?

I just started the thread about college football in the Watering Hole section. Check it out if you'd like.

Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon High-Tech Tank

Back on topic now...I'm going to be changing up the tank quite a bit here in a couple months. First, I'll be getting an LED light around bulb replacement time (maybe the Finnex Planted+ 24/7) and I'll be selling the T5 HO fixture. Secondly, I'll be lowering the lighting levels. I love the high tech/high light approach with its lush growth and plants, but with getting a new job in the next couple months, having a slower growing planted tank will be better for me. So, here's the plan:

• Get a dimmable LED fixture; sell the T5 HO lamp

• Convert from high light to medium (low end)/low (high end) light in a couple months. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy this tank and I'm going to start selling some trimmings on the classifieds section eventually. Around the time of the conversion, I'll be adding some plants so trades will be possible. I plan to keep the Dwarf Hairgrass, Cyperus helferi, AR ('mini' and 'Rosaefolia'), Anubias, Christmas Moss, Blyxa japonica (?), Lobelia cardinalis, Ludwigia sp. red, and possibly the Downoi. I'm going to have Java Fern in this tank, but I may sell the huge one that I have and try a unique Java Fern variant in its place.

• Plants that will be subtracted from the tank: Rotala macrandra (I don't think this plant would do well in lower lighting), Limno aromatica, and possibly the Java Fern.

• Plants that will be added: Colorful Crypts, Buces, Red Tiger Lotus, different Anubias, some different background plants, and maybe S. repens. I'll be getting another driftwood piece too.

I'll still run the pressurized CO2 and dose PPS-Pro after I switch lights. For now, I'll be planning and I'll still be sharing updates and pictures of the current setup!

Don't blame you on changing things up. Medium to high lighting requires maintenance to keep things looking good (not overgrown). Some days I get 5 minutes tops with the tank. Feed, dose, and watch.
My next fixture might be a 24/7 but the planted+ has been working well for me.

Don't blame you on changing things up. Medium to high lighting requires maintenance to keep things looking good (not overgrown). Some days I get 5 minutes tops with the tank. Feed, dose, and watch.
My next fixture might be a 24/7 but the planted+ has been working well for me.

This time around I'm going to try to make the tank more unique. Odd leaf shapes and good contrast is my aim. I'd like to try Crinum calamistratum again. When I had it a couple months ago, it was a BBA magnet. With lower light, I don't think I'll have any issues with it. I also like the more unique crypts and Buces.

Okay, these are the plants that I'm considering. Of course, I won't have all of them in the tank. Like I said earlier, I already have some of these.

• Crinum calamistratum
• Ozelot Sword/Red Flame Sword
• Ludwigia sp. red
• AR 'rosaefolia'
• AR 'mini'
• Downoi
• Lobelia cardinalis
• Dwarf Hairgrass
• Java Fern or Windelov Java Fern or Trident Java Fern or Narrow Leaf Java Fern
• Red Tiger Lotus
• Cyperus helferi
• Blyxa japonica
• S. repens
• Christmas Moss
• Anubias nana 'petite'
• Anubias nana 'gold', other Anubias sp.
• Various Buces
• Bacopa caroliniana
• Pygmy Chain Sword
• Various Crypts
• Marsilea crenata
• Cardamine lyrata

I'm planning on adding more hardscape for the plants and to balance out the tank. I'm open to any ideas/suggestions.

Off topic...Just a reminder to all of those college football maniacs out there, myself included haha, that we're under 2 weeks away from the first game. I might make a thread for college football talk in the aquaria off topic section if enough are interested. A little bit over 2 for any OSU fan that is wanting revenge against the Hokies too. Go Bucks!

So does this mean you reside in columbus too? I'm actually a current buckeye. Haha you have have no idea how anxious I am for this season to start..

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So does this mean you reside in columbus too? I'm actually a current buckeye. Haha you have have no idea how anxious I am for this season to start..

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I actually live 2 hours south of Columbus near Portsmouth. And I'm very anxious for it to start too! It's been depressing to watch the Reds this season...

Tank pics:

FTS:

BTW, I'm almost ready for a big trim. I'll post on the classifieds here in a week or so what plants I have available!

Okay, so I've decided that crypts, Anubias, and hardscape are going to play a huge role in this tank. I'll be getting some interesting crypts and many different Anubias that will make the tank look unique--I don't want this to be an ordinary low light tank. I'll get maybe one or two different buces, but that'd be about it. I'll be getting Crypt nurii, wendtii 'green gecko', wendtii 'bronze' and 'red', Metallia Affinis red, pontederiifolia, and possibly balansae. With the Anubias, I'm going to get golden nana, nana (I already have petite), barteri, 'round leaf', 'coffeefolia', and maybe some others. I'll incorporate more driftwood into the scape and maybe some lava rock too. I'm not for sure about what background plants I'll get, and I'm contemplating the foreground too. I'm for sure going to keep the DHG. Im going to start drawing out aquascape plans as soon as I decide on all the plants--I want to get this right and not have to switch out plants all the time.

By the way, I'll be switching to lower lighting around New Year's.

Okay, so I've decided that crypts, Anubias, and hardscape are going to play a huge role in this tank. I'll be getting some interesting crypts and many different Anubias that will make the tank look unique--I don't want this to be an ordinary low light tank. I'll get maybe one or two different buces, but that'd be about it. I'll be getting Crypt nurii, wendtii 'green gecko', wendtii 'bronze' and 'red', Metallia Affinis red, pontederiifolia, and possibly balansae. With the Anubias, I'm going to get golden nana, nana (I already have petite), barteri, 'round leaf', 'coffeefolia', and maybe some others. I'll incorporate more driftwood into the scape and maybe some lava rock too. I'm not for sure about what background plants I'll get, and I'm contemplating the foreground too. I'm for sure going to keep the DHG. Im going to start drawing out aquascape plans as soon as I decide on all the plants--I want to get this right and not have to switch out plants all the time.

By the way, I'll be switching to lower lighting around New Year's.

Interesting,what made you decide to change things up again?

sit in silence...

Interesting,what made you decide to change things up again?

sit in silence...

I have a new job lined up for me that will start in the middle of January, and I'll be home less as a result. I thought it would be better for me to maintain a slower growing tank so I wouldn't have to put as much time into it.

Here are some shots of the plants pearling earlier:

Just a heads up:

I'll be holding a huge plant sale after Thanksgiving. I'll only be keeping my Anubias nana 'petite' and Christmas Moss. I'll be bringing in a new type of Java Fern into the tank too. The months of December and January will be a transitional phase for this tank. It should be fun!

Anyway, I did a huge trim yesterday and mailed out some plants to some members. The plants should grow back in nicely. I'll post pics later today or tomorrow.

I'm pondering over the idea of getting a big school of Threadfin Rainbowfish again. I would do this after the rescape. I remember that when I had swords and crypts, they looked really nice against them. I would have to reduce flow though (my current Threadfin only hangs out in areas of slower flow), and I would probably remove the powerhead and get an Eheim Skim350 to have nice medium flow (6x). Since my tank is going to be low light, I think it'd work.

Nothing different to report of. The Ludwigia sp. 'red' never did recover. I have only one lanky stem that I'm going to pull out. I'll be creating a new thread for this tank in a couple weeks. I'm excited to convert this tank to a low light one. There will be no stem plants in this upcoming scape.

Back
Top Bottom