Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I usually level off the main stem and let the side shoots become the new main stems.
Give it sometime. In my tank it rivals the Rotala macrandra in terms of growth rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sure will, and nice suggestion! About some other plants, didn't you have regular AR at one point? I believe you did from what I can remember. Mine has algae on some of its leaves and is sort of an algae magnet. The AR 'mini' doesn't though, and it's almost as red as the Rotala macrandra.

Yes, I had regular AR and it did wonderfully for about a year then went downhill. My AR mini looks horrible. Small, stunted leaves, BBA magnet, meh color. But it's doing well enough to not die off as a group and it makes a nice visual separation between the star repens and downoi.

Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon High-Tech Tank

Yes, I had regular AR and it did wonderfully for about a year then went downhill. My AR mini looks horrible. Small, stunted leaves, BBA magnet, meh color. But it's doing well enough to not die off as a group and it makes a nice visual separation between the star repens and downoi.

I just went deep into the archives of your thread and saw what your Ludwigia sp. red looked like. It looked very similar to what mine looks like now. Haha, I guess it's just one of those plants that likes to scare people at first. I'll give mine special treatment for now. About the AR, I also saw how nice your's looked. Mine is growing really slow right now. I think my Java Fern is beating it out. I'll chop off the affected algae leaves, and I'll see where it is in a couple weeks.

Oh, and the new filter shaft will be arriving on Friday from Big Al's ($5 on Big Al's vs $15 on Amazon). Yay! Only one and half more days of listening to a loud filter.

Reading the past few posts makes me really hope I have ludwigia sp. Red and not more of the rubin. All the new growth is green and not red.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Reading the past few posts makes me really hope I have ludwigia sp. Red and not more of the rubin. All the new growth is green and not red.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The new growth on mine is green, but it is turning red. I don't know why some plants do this. Do you have any pictures?

I just went deep into the archives of your thread and saw what your Ludwigia sp. red looked like. It looked very similar to what mine looks like now. Haha, I guess it's just one of those plants that likes to scare people at first. I'll give mine special treatment for now. About the AR, I also saw how nice your's looked. Mine is growing really slow right now. I think my Java Fern is beating it out. I'll chop off the affected algae leaves, and I'll see where it is in a couple weeks.

That thread is 1802 posts deep! You'll get lost in there. So many, many changes over the course of 2.5+ years. Yeah, the AR made a run. When growing well I find it is a rather large plant as far as stems go. Not sure if I'll try it again because there are so many other plants out there to try. I would not mind getting downoi to grow full again. I should be getting some healthy specimens next week from TT.

Following! Like the look, keep it up! :)

Thanks! It's still a work-in-progress. I'll get it some stability eventually!

That thread is 1802 posts deep! You'll get lost in there. So many, many changes over the course of 2.5+ years. Yeah, the AR made a run. When growing well I find it is a rather large plant as far as stems go. Not sure if I'll try it again because there are so many other plants out there to try. I would not mind getting downoi to grow full again. I should be getting some healthy specimens next week from TT.

I feel like I can try tougher plants than AR now. I still like the AR 'mini' though. My "plant confidence" has risen a little bit since the Rotala macrandra is doing well. My Downoi is doing good. Not quite as lush as tiger's, but not bad either.

I did a lot of tank maintenance today. I added a the new shaft to the filter, and it is a lot less noisy now. I trimmed and replanted all of the Downoi, and siphoned the top of the gravel in that area. I also trimmed some of the Blyxa. I root tabbed the entire tank pretty much, and put iron tabs under the red plants. Pictures to come later tonight!

Pics:

The Rotala mac. is popping!

The AR 'mini' is doing well so far.

Cleaned up the Downoi patch and replanted. The Ludwigia sp. red is beginning its comeback.

FTS:

After a little more research, I'm thinking about either adding Green Neon Tetras, Rummynose Tetras, or Ember Tetras.

After a little more research, I'm thinking about either adding Green Neon Tetras, Rummynose Tetras, or Ember Tetras.

I'd go with the green neons or embers. Both are small as far as tetras go. Similar in size to the harlequins. What are the larger, fuller bodied tetras in there?
The green you are seeing with the ludwigia 'red' may be due to the plant adjusting from transit to the tanks water condition. Watch for them to gradually become crimson. If not, then there's something going on. I have some in my no ferts, no CO2 shrimp tank and the growth is slow and the leaves are smaller.

Green neons are sweet little fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd go with the green neons or embers. Both are small as far as tetras go. Similar in size to the harlequins. What are the larger, fuller bodied tetras in there?
The green you are seeing with the ludwigia 'red' may be due to the plant adjusting from transit to the tanks water condition. Watch for them to gradually become crimson. If not, then there's something going on. I have some in my no ferts, no CO2 shrimp tank and the growth is slow and the leaves are smaller.

Those are Bentos Tetras. I'll be rehoming them to a friend of mine in a week or two. I'll be keeping an eye on the Ludwigia.

Green neons are sweet little fish.

Cool. Do you happen to have any photos of them from your tank(s)?

Sure do..

Attachments

• 1439738974415.jpg
    1439738974415.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 61

Sure do..

They look like a nice fish! I had regular Neon Tetras in a little 10 gallon around 8 years ago. The tank had a glow-in-the-dark castle and a pirate chest haha!

Seriously considering replacing the AR 'rosaefolia' with something different. This plant grew like mad when I first got it, and now it's growing slower than my Anubias--it seems. If I was to replace it, I'd like to get a stem plant that is thin. Rotala wallichii comes to mind. Any other suggestions? This plant would be next to the Java Fern and Limno, and in front of the Blyxa japonica. I could even move the Ludwigia sp. red to the background.

Off topic...Just a reminder to all of those college football maniacs out there, myself included haha, that we're under 2 weeks away from the first game. I might make a thread for college football talk in the aquaria off topic section if enough are interested. A little bit over 2 for any OSU fan that is wanting revenge against the Hokies too. Go Bucks!

Back
Top Bottom