Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Rescape/Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO the dual t5ho fixture at that depth (~16") should be enough to keep AR red. At least the top set of leaves.

Good to hear! Since my Crinum appears to be rotting, I think I'm going to put another plant in its place. This is the second time I've had a Crinum rot, and I don't want to keep spending money on them. Can you think of any stem plant that would make a nice addition to the background?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'll send you some rotala rotundifolia, pm me, it's a great background that pinks up under good lighting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll send you some rotala rotundifolia, pm me, it's a great background that pinks up under good lighting

I appreciate that, but I already have that plant. Thanks for the offer though!

Fine, bacopa coralina?

Bacopa is a fast growing, light green plant that will create a striking background.

Awesome! Is it better to place it in the corners in terms of looks, or do you think it'd look better in the middle of the background. In both instances, next to Ludwigia repens or Cyperus helferi.

Mine is currently in the corner because it is not as demanding in terms of light compared to some of my other plants. Along my back wall I was going for an alternating green and red pattern. That being said, perhaps next to the L repens for good contrast.
I got my B caroliniana from a top fin gel pack from Petsmart.

Mine is currently in the corner because it is not as demanding in terms of light compared to some of my other plants. Along my back wall I was going for an alternating green and red pattern. That being said, perhaps next to the L repens for good contrast.
I got my B caroliniana from a top fin gel pack from Petsmart.

It sounds like this plant will do well in my current setup. I'll have to take a visit to Petsmart in a week or so.

Definitely change the background out. Theres a few options. If you want a black background but dont want to move the tank to paint it you could cut and tape a garbage back to the back or something similar. Ive done this before and it looks pretty good but not as good as painting it. You could also spray paint it or even plasti dip it. Plasti dip is pretty cool stuff you spray it on and it looks just like paint but if you ever want to take it off you can simply peel it off. Lots of people use it on cars. I believe you can buy it at advanced auto but not sure.
Puck

Update:

My Crinum appears to be a goner. I'll probably try it again, but it will be when I add more substrate. I thinking to the future, and it looks like I'll change the stock up a little whenever my old tetras pass on. I want to have a stock like this by next summer:

12 Threadfin Rainbowfish
5 Amano Shrimp
4 Panda Garra
3-5 Nerite Snails
2 Assassin Snails (I'll keep them if they don't disturb the Nerites)
1 Ram
Another school of small fish in the 8-10 range (Ember Tetras/Harlequin Rasboras/Cardinal Tetras/Celestial Pearl Danios/Neon Tetras)

Celestial pearl danios wouldn't do very well with thread fine imo. How about 8 rummy nose tetras?

Celestial pearl danios wouldn't do very well with thread fine imo. How about 8 rummy nose tetras?

I've actually had those before, but they all died in a matter of 4 days. I got 8 I believe. Maybe it was just a bad batch. I'll add them as a possible option.

I've actually had those before, but they all died in a matter of 4 days. I got 8 I believe. Maybe it was just a bad batch. I'll add them as a possible option.

Maybe. Do you know why they died? I started off with 7 and lost two to fin for but I already new they had it (not available anywhere else, just had to have them. After a month of having them they were super active, hardy, colorful. Really awesome fish.

Maybe. Do you know why they died? I started off with 7 and lost two to fin for but I already new they had it (not available anywhere else, just had to have them. After a month of having them they were super active, hardy, colorful. Really awesome fish.

Not exactly. All of my water parameters were in check. I remember one died a day after I put it in the tank. Then the rest slowly died off. Their noses were red and everything. This is still a mystery to me.

Jeez. Maybe bad genes? Very weird. They're hard to breed so I wouldn't expect bad genes but maybe.

Jeez. Maybe bad genes? Very weird. They're hard to breed so I wouldn't expect bad genes but maybe.

Maybe they were just shipped to the store a day earlier of something. I don't know. They did school nicely in their short time in my tank though.

I love this magazine! So much information and helpful tips. I recommend it to anyone. I usually purchase mine from Barnes and Noble.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407614678.459003.jpg

I wish this forum had a magazine. We need to get the moderators on that!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407632454.013381.jpg

One of the Assassin Snails is out today. I'm afraid he'll be deeply disappointed that his prey has gone extinct. Looks like he'll be eating some scraps for dinner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom