Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Rescape/Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see you have your sights set on a GLA CO2 setup. Not to diss GLA (they make superb products), but there are effective and lower costing options in case $$$ present an obstacle for getting a CO2 system. AQUATEK makes a regulator with solenoid and bubble counter that accepts full size and paintball tanks for about $90. A 24 oz paintball tank goes for around $25. All that's left is CO2 tubing, diffuser, and drop checker. If you get it from eBay the CO2 tubing might be included as a freebie.
That's the route I chose. Just throwing out there as an option on your path to the dark side.

I see you have your sights set on a GLA CO2 setup. Not to diss GLA (they make superb products), but there are effective and lower costing options in case $$$ present an obstacle for getting a CO2 system. AQUATEK makes a regulator with solenoid and bubble counter that accepts full size and paintball tanks for about $90. A 24 oz paintball tank goes for around $25. All that's left is CO2 tubing, diffuser, and drop checker. If you get it from eBay the CO2 tubing might be included as a freebie.
That's the route I chose. Just throwing out there as an option on your path to the dark side.

Haha! I laughed at that dark side comment. This might be an option for me. In your opinion, how long would a 24 oz. tank last for a 30 gallon tank before it needed to be refilled again? Would I have to purchase the check valves separately too?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I second the aquatek, so far so good on my tank/s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha! I laughed at that dark side comment. This might be an option for me. In your opinion, how long would a 24 oz. tank last for a 30 gallon tank before it needed to be refilled again? Would I have to purchase the check valves separately too?

In a 20g tank, a 24 oz tank lasted 4 months. It may have gone to 4.5 months or more. They may be above the norm. I ran it for about 7-8 hours per day off a timer. On the day I swapped out the tank, I vented it out in a glass of water:
f0fBe16.jpg
for several minutes. Got tired of waiting, took a shower, came back and it was still producing a fizz. I brought it to Dicks Sporting Goods and refilled it for $4.29 (or close to that). They have a deal where every 5th fill up is free. Sweet. I do run a bit on the lean side with CO2 although lately I've been keeping the drop checker lime green to slight yellow. I am on my second tank (started this in April).
Though I got this from Amazon, eBay should have the same deal (maybe better). The bubble counter has an integrated check valve and was included with the regulator. It is listed as the "AquaTek Premium Regulator with CoolTouch Solenoid".
Oh, you'll need a $5 paintball adaptor to use the paintball tanks with this regulator. AquaTek also makes similar regulators that only accept paintball tanks for slightly less. I opted for the regular tank model just to keep my options open. So far this has been working out for me.

In a 20g tank, a 24 oz tank lasted 4 months. It may have gone to 4.5 months or more. They may be above the norm. I ran it for about 7-8 hours per day off a timer. On the day I swapped out the tank, I vented it out in a glass of water:
f0fBe16.jpg
for several minutes. Got tired of waiting, took a shower, came back and it was still producing a fizz. I brought it to Dicks Sporting Goods and refilled it for $4.29 (or close to that). They have a deal where every 5th fill up is free. Sweet. I do run a bit on the lean side with CO2 although lately I've been keeping the drop checker lime green to slight yellow. I am on my second tank (started this in April).
Though I got this from Amazon, eBay should have the same deal (maybe better). The bubble counter has an integrated check valve and was included with the regulator. It is listed as the "AquaTek Premium Regulator with CoolTouch Solenoid".
Oh, you'll need a $5 paintball adaptor to use the paintball tanks with this regulator. AquaTek also makes similar regulators that only accept paintball tanks for slightly less. I opted for the regular tank model just to keep my options open. So far this has been working out for me.

Could I possibly purchase a 2.5 lb. or 5 lb. CO2 tank and still use the Aquatek stuff on it?

Definitely. Just make sure that it is not the "Mini" model (that one only accepts paintball tanks).

Correct me if I leave anything out or include something that isn't needed, but I should be getting the following:

1. 5 lb. CO2 tank
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002KHDFTO/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?qid=1407927903&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70
Nearly $69 with shipping costs included (a steal if you look at it)

2. Premium AQUATEK CO2 Regulator with Integrated COOL TOUCH Solenoid
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009WTXYN0/ref=pd_aw_sims_3?pi=SY115&simLd=1
About $90

3. AQUATEK CO2-Proof Tubing 16 Feet
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008UCOFJW/ref=pd_aw_sims_1?pi=SY115&simLd=1
About $10

4. AQUATEK CO2 Paintball Tank CGA 320 Adapter
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004M49QDC/ref=pd_aw_sims_2?pi=SL500_SY115&simLd=1
Around $17

5. ATOMIC CO2 DIFFUSER - 50MM
http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-diffusers/atomic-diffuser-50.html
Around $23

So the costs would be around $209. I'd be saving $109 if I didn't get the GLA GRO CO2 System. I could go lower on the diffuser, but I wanted to get a good one. If someone could find another diffuser that looks nice, yet is cheap and effective, I'd be welcome to take a look at it. Also, if I could save more money in any way, I'm open to it haha!

Im not sure you need the adapter unless you're using a paintball tank?

Im not sure you need the adapter unless you're using a paintball tank?

I guess not. Does anything look like it's missing? Will I need to put a check valve on the CO2 tubing? I'm assuming the bible counter fluid comes with the bubble counter as well, but I'm not sure.

I guess not. Does anything look like it's missing? Will I need to put a check valve on the CO2 tubing? I'm assuming the bible counter fluid comes with the bubble counter as well, but I'm not sure.

I don't think you need a special fluid. And sometimes you can find a bubble counter that has a check valve built in.

I don't think you need a special fluid. And sometimes you can find a bubble counter that has a check valve built in.

Okay. At the moment it looks like I'll spend $192, which is about $126 in saving of what I would've bought. It looks like I'll be able to buy the CO2 system earlier than expected.

Don't forget the drop checker if you do not already have one.
eBay might have a deal for a similar cost where the CO2 tubing is included with the regulator.
The check valve is integrated with the bubble counter.
Use water for the bubble counter. Some diffuser specifically state that they will not operate properly if anything other water is used. Go to the GLA site and check out the specifics for the Atomic diffusers.

Don't forget the drop checker if you do not already have one.
eBay might have a deal for a similar cost where the CO2 tubing is included with the regulator.
The check valve is integrated with the bubble counter.
Use water for the bubble counter. Some diffuser specifically state that they will not operate properly if anything other water is used. Go to the GLA site and check out the specifics for the Atomic diffusers.

On the GLA website, it says to use only water. What drop checker do you use?

Also, where could I fill this tank up at? It looks like Dick's only fills tanks that are 24 oz. or under.

On the GLA website, it says to use only water. What drop checker do you use?

Fluval. Came with a 10 mL bottle of indicator fluid. Had a problem once where the fluid "disappeared". I think Brookster reported this happening at least once. This would not happen with a seamless, more expensive model (eg -GLA).

Okay everyone, besides the CO2 situation, I've decided to change to the EI method of fertilization so there will be a lesser chance of deficiency. Do any of you dose EI?

It looks like I might have to use the paintball CO2 method. It looks like it has worked for all of you, so it is at the leaderboard of how I'm going to inject CO2 into my aquarium. Here is what I've concluded so far:

1. I live in an area where it's hard to find stuff, so I don't think I could find a place to fill up a 5 lb. CO2 tank as easily as going to Dick's Sporting Goods (which is 35-45 minutes away from my house--I don't mind the drive). Plus, there is a Petsmart in this area. ?

2. I'm a newbie to CO2, so would I really want to take care of a huge CO2 tank?

3. Many people on this forum use paintball CO2, so if I have any trouble, I'd know who to contact.

4. If 24 oz. of paintball CO2 would last in my tank for nearly 2-2/3 months or less, then I'd spend $20-25 a year. I can use 2 L of Flourish Excel in 4 months at the minimum, and that costs $30. Is it cost effective to use paintball CO2? I think so!

5. If I get paintball CO2, I can get it way more quickly than a GLA CO2 system. My plants and eyes will be thanking me. I'd love to have a GLA CO2 system, but there are way too many roadblocks for that right now.

Now if I had a huge 200 gallon tank, I'd get a bigger CO2 tank, but I have a small 30 gallon aquarium. If I could get all of the necessary supplies for under $150 (except for the drop checker, which would be a separate purchase from GLA), I'd be really happy. I might be able to get this up and running by October. Yay!

Back
Top Bottom