Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Rescape/Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well thought out. Lower overall cost and 3 months ahead of schedule. Win-win!

Here is a list of everything that is needed for this steup (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. 24 oz. paintball CO2 tank
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007XKFQCM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1408078479&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70
$27.85 total

2. Premium AQUATEK CO2 Regulator with Integrated COOL TOUCH Solenoid
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009WTXYN0/ref=pd_aw_sims_3?pi=SY115&simLd=1#
$89.99

3. CO2 tubing
http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-resistant-tubing/clear-co2-tubing.html
$10.00

4. AQUATEK CO2 Paintball Tank CGA 320 Adapter
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004M49QDC/ref=pd_aw_sims_9?pi=SL500_SY115
$16.99

5. ATOMIC CO2 DIFFUSER - 50MM
http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-diffusers/atomic-diffuser-50.html
$22.99 + 6.00 (special GLA cleaning solution)

That amounts to $173.82 without tax. Not too bad if you ask me. I'll purchase the drop checker in the GLA order. Probably this one: http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-drop-checkers/cal-double-check.html

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was wondering, why does the EI method of fertilization not use magnesium sulfate? I'm planning to switch to EI when I start injecting CO2 to prevent deficiencies.

I was wondering, why does the EI method of fertilization not use magnesium sulfate? I'm planning to switch to EI when I start injecting CO2 to prevent deficiencies.

Because magnesium is found in your tap water sometimes. Your water hardness (GH) is based on magnesium and calcium levels. Plants do need magnesium and calcium, but if your tap water is hard (10+ maybe?) then you don't really need to add any.

Because magnesium is found in your tap water sometimes. Your water hardness (GH) is based on magnesium and calcium levels. Plants do need magnesium and calcium, but if your tap water is hard (10+ maybe?) then you don't really need to add any.

Okay. I need to get a GH and KH test kit. I don't think I'll need the magnesium sulfate though because I can't see the CO2 dramatically changing my pH and water hardness; although, I could be wrong. I will perform tests though to see if it would be needed once the CO2 is established. I have changed my plans for CO2 once again though. I WILL be getting the GLA setup as I've found a local place that would fill up a 5 lb. cylinder for me. I promise I won't change my mind again! I should be able to get it in a 1-2 month time span. I'm going for the more expensive setup because I want the best quality, and I really like GLA as well. I appreciate everyone's help though in offering an idea of a cheaper alternative. I believe my setup, once CO2 is pumping and EI is being dosed, would be good enough to support plants like Rotala wallichii. I will put up another rescape plan in a couple days! My tank is in for HUGE changes, I hope.

Okay. I need to get a GH and KH test kit. I don't think I'll need the magnesium sulfate though because I can't see the CO2 dramatically changing my pH and water hardness; although, I could be wrong. I will perform tests though to see if it would be needed once the CO2 is established. I have changed my plans for CO2 once again though. I WILL be getting the GLA setup as I've found a local place that would fill up a 5 lb. cylinder for me. I promise I won't change my mind again! I should be able to get it in a 1-2 month time span. I'm going for the more expensive setup because I want the best quality, and I really like GLA as well. I appreciate everyone's help though in offering an idea of a cheaper alternative. I believe my setup, once CO2 is pumping and EI is being dosed, would be good enough to support plants like Rotala wallichii. I will put up another rescape plan in a couple days! My tank is in for HUGE changes, I hope.

Good ambition!

You could just look in your town water report for KH/GH.

The substrate has been ordered. The rescape will commence once I get some slate to drill into the driftwood.

I might switch out the Cyperus helferi for Blyxa japonica when I start injecting CO2 in my tank. Do any of you guys have this plant, and have you had success with it?

Update:

Algae! Algae! Algae! Ugh.

After a water change, I realized that my tank is going to have to go through a major overhaul when I do the rescape. My tank has BBA, green spot algae, some type of dust algae (it was weird... It looked like BBA at first, but it dusted off of some of the plant leaves and made my tank water a little bit cloudy), and regular algae that everyone encounters. My tank is way out of whack. There is no balance at all. I wish my tank looked as good as your guys' tanks! I'll upload some pictures tomorrow.

The grass is not always greener...errrr...bad pun.
The pics don't always show what's really going (well, I'm my case). Had been battling GSA, BBA, and stag horn. Guilty of not testing phosphate and nitrate. Not really offering much help but support because you are not alone with this. Just hoping to find that sweet spot for lights, ferts, and CO2. Good luck!

The grass is not always greener...errrr...bad pun.
The pics don't always show what's really going (well, I'm my case). Had been battling GSA, BBA, and stag horn. Guilty of not testing phosphate and nitrate. Not really offering much help but support because you are not alone with this. Just hoping to find that sweet spot for lights, ferts, and CO2. Good luck!

Thanks Fresh! Once I get an email back from Green Leaf Aquariums and purchase another 500 mL bottle, I'll be converting over to EI. I got the additional substrate today too. One step closer, but many more to go! If only there was a magical algae potion that would only kill algae. One can dream haha.

I was wondering, could water flow be an issue in my tank (besides the CO2 stuff)? My Eheim 2213 puts out a good flow of 102 gph, but the recommended amount for a planted tank if my size is 300 gph. The only problem is that my Threadfins wouldn't appreciate such as large flow. What should I do?

Yes it could. I'm surprised that you only have 103 tbh on that tank I'd expect you to need more.

I did have another setup with this tank prior to planting it a year or so ago. I thought that a classic canister filter would be fine, and since it was for a 66 gallon tank, I thought it would be even better. I set up this filter with the planed tank, and didn't think a thing about it until recently.

I think if I'd put a powerhead in my tank, my Threadfin Rainbowfish would literally struggle to swim. In nature, they live in still stretches of flowing water. I can't think of any place where a powerhead could be placed in my tank without effecting them.

Hey guys, sorry that I haven't done the rescape yet! I've just been really busy. I know that this thread has been a bit boring.

I'm investigating in other ways to arrange plants/driftwood in my tank. Maybe I'll get the additional gravel in there this long weekend. College football is approaching too! Other than that, I still need to get some slate for the driftwood that I got from the OBX in July. The orange lava rock will be ousted, unless I find a nice looking way to implement it into the scape. I probably won't get a powerhead for the sake of my Threadfins too.

I replied to the slate question via pm as well. Try your local hardware store. Also, garden stores and nurseries often sell slate. They sometimes have a place where they store and sell the broken pieces of slate and flagstone. I'd look there for slate.
Continuing the college football discussion here...sure the rest of the Big Ten felt better with BMiller out. Even w/out him they still run the same system with the other 21 players. Going to a neighbors house next weekend to watch the Buckeyes host Tech. He's a big VA Tech fan...even has 3 rows of DIY bleachers in his family room. Should be interesting.

I replied to the slate question via pm as well. Try your local hardware store. Also, garden stores and nurseries often sell slate. They sometimes have a place where they store and sell the broken pieces of slate and flagstone. I'd look there for slate.
Continuing the college football discussion here...sure the rest of the Big Ten felt better with BMiller out. Even w/out him they still run the same system with the other 21 players. Going to a neighbors house next weekend to watch the Buckeyes host Tech. He's a big VA Tech fan...even has 3 rows of DIY bleachers in his family room. Should be interesting.

Okay, thanks for the info!

OSU's new QB Barrett was the #3 duel-threat QB recruit 2 years ago. I think they'll be fine, and he might actually surprise some people. Ohio State's defense will determine their season outcome. Navy is a scrappy team, so they'll be on upset alert tomorrow. The Va. Tech matchup should be entertaining (even more so since it's a night game). I've been to many night games in the 'shoe, and they have an electric atmosphere.

The midshipmen made it quite a game today.
#7 UCLA had their hands full with a UVA squad that only won 2 games last year.
Watching football today and doing some home improvement, so not spending much time with the fishies.

The midshipmen made it quite a game today.
#7 UCLA had their hands full with a UVA squad that only won 2 games last year.
Watching football today and doing some home improvement, so not spending much time with the fishies.

Me either. My tank is looking nasty since I haven't cleaned it in two weeks ?. I'm just glad college football is back. The Reds are awful right now, so I'm glad I can watch Ohio State nearly every weekend now.

Update:

I'm going to do a water change tomorrow. I'm still thinking of where to place everything, what plants to add, etc. Where would you guys place two Amazon Swords? In the corner or in the middle of my tank? I plan on adding R. Wallichi or some type of Pogo stem plant. Staurogyne repens will make up my entire foreground, except for a little area that will have some Downoi (cool plant). CO2 is 95% of my tank's problem, so once it is installed, my tank should look way better. I'll do the rescape prior to this though. Other than that, this will be my future tank stock (at the moment...it could change anytime):

6 Assassin Snails (saw some more tiny snails in the tank today)
7 Kuhli Loaches
3 Panda Garra
10-12 Threadfin Rainbowfish
1 Electric Blue Ram
8 Ember Tetras

Back
Top Bottom