Fishless Cycle--Done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had to butt in and say you guys sounded like you were waiting for a pregnancy test result...can't wait to see blue again...lol. Sorry, couldn't resist.
I think you should go buy some fake fish...dad didn't specify if they had to have real gills or not. Show him Neil gave you the idea and you're all set.
I dunno how young you are but I think it's really neat you took the time to read up and research all this stuff. Alot of kids just don't think...I was one of those. Lol!
I believe you are looking at 35 days or so for a non-seeded tank. I have read where it can take longer but I won't scare you off from doing good.

Forget about the peptalks....offer money!

So I am sitting here with my friend. I decided to test my water before he came. When he arrived, I was waiting for the colors to develop. He looks at it and says..."Looks blue/purple." I was so happy. NITRITES. They are 0.25, possibly a little less but who cares.

Ammonia- 2.0
Nitrite- <0.25!
Nitrate-Testing tomorrow
pH-7.4

It really is now I don't have to worry.......at least for today and maybe a few more :)

Did you do a PWC yet to get your nitrites down?

No, I'm going to give it a few more days I think. They've been on a pretty steady decline the past several days, so we'll see. My LFS is holding me up from ordering fish anyway right now, so even if I did PWC the NO2 down I couldn't put anything in it yet.

On Saturday it'll be three weeks since putting in my media. You may have read my other thread about my plan (once bio-wheel is removed). Obviously the cycle is going to be going on after Saturday. Would it be stupid to remove one media and put a new one in? I don't want a lot of bacteria to be removed.

I would leave that media in until at least after the cycle is complete, maybe even a few weeks into having fish. You shouldn't have built up a bunch of solid waste in it having those small fish in for that short period, so I can't think of a reason to change it. And it is housing some of the bacteria you're getting.

I was so happy. NITRITES

:band:

See, we were not lying to you.

BTW, I did try and seed my tank with a little filter I grabbed from a tank at work. I was very careful to keep it in tank water, brought it home and put it in my tank. When my tank was done cycling I took it out and went to clean it up... When I opened it, there was nothing in it!! It seems that they were only using it for circulation and took the sponges out of it :oops:

So I would say that I did not actually seed my tank.

Maybe I'll be as lucky as you with the short cycle.

Thanks for the rocking smileys lol

I think he meant from the first time you tried to setup your tank, before the soap issue. It was right after Christmas, wasn't it???

Progress!
I was thinking, if you could get some more seed material from a friend or LFS, it might pick up the pace some. Have you looked into asking your LFS for anything?

There was a thread somewhere on here that had a member offer to ship some of his to someone as well.

Back
Top Bottom