Fishless Cycle--Done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishless Cycle(Almost done?)

Day 14

Ammonia-0
Nitrite- 5, maybe greater
Nitrate-10-15
pH- 7.2

Dosed in 2 ppm ammonia.

wow, okay cool.

Based on what I've seen, I think if you start to see your pH dip at all I'd recommend adding a teaspoon of baking soda to buffer it. Make sure it's baking soda, not powder though.

I'll see what it is tomorrow. If it goes any lower, I'll do that but as of now I'll just keep it. I'm pretty excited. I don't wanna get my hopes up, but seeing as ammonia was 0 in 24 hrs, am I safe to say I am half way there?

that's basically right, you're about half way there. Congrats!!!
Nows when you really need to hammer down and decide on fish. If I were to do it again, I think when we got to the point you're at right now is when I would order anything not typically stocked, so that they can be observed at the LFS before bringing them home. Something to consider.

Finally my cycle finished - YAY! But now I have no fish ordered yet, so I still have to wait. Poor planning on my part, IMO

That's a good idea, I'll see if I can get there this week (hopefully I'll have to go this week to BUY fish :). )

My water smells, is this normal during cycle?

***Edit..This is my second time testing for ammonia after two doses for two hours. I dosed in about 4 ml and I am only getting a reading of 1ppm. Idk why this is happening, yesterday 3ml went just fine into 2ppm in an hour and a half.

You will have normal converting flucuations in the tank...sometimes it's a little slower than others. As long as you check at 12 or 24 hours and they are 0 again you're on your way. There are so many variables to consider: temurature, ph levels, pwc's, and others...

Neilanh is right on about the baking soda. It will certainly help buffer the ph. If it gets to low you will stall. The first thing you will see is the ammonia won't convert to 0 in the same amount of time.

Smelly water is normal. In fact, I have an established tank (been up 4 years) that is in a mini-cycle right now. The first thing I noticed was the smell...then the bacteria bloom. Keep that in mind for the future, it may help save some fish. Sometimes you may not be aware of perimeter changes.

Good luck! You sound like you are well on the halfway point...probably over.

locorosa said it "If it gets to low you will stall". I proved it... twice actually I think.

The other stuff, don't worry about. Your ammo level is fine for now, and smelly water - yeah it happens.

If you see it hit 7 I'd but in the baking soda. when my started downward, it only took 5 days to bottom out. Ideal is up around 7.5. But yours looks like its been stable for several days, so I don't think you're on a downward trend yet.

Put in just a small amount...couple of pinches is all you'll need. The most I ever dosed was 1tbp and keep in mind I have a 92 gallon tank. Mine crashed big time though...it went to a 6 in 36 hours. That was pretty drastic.
I had to redose and I put in 1tsp. All that to say, a couple of pinches will suffice for you. Lol!

Day 15-

Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 4
Nitrate- Showing less than 10--I think I messed up somewhere in testing
pH- 7.4

Now, I don't know if I misread yesterday, or if the nitrite really is going down! The purple is lighter than 5 :)

Dosed 3 ml

Yeah, I don't know why, but my NitrAte readings were crap all during my cycle, until it kicked. I read consistently between 6 and 10 for weeks, then when the NO2 fell, it "jumped" to 120. I know it didn't really jump, but that's how it appeared with the test kit.

I did say earlier that you should take a baseline reading, basically to know what you got out of the tap and where you were when your cycle started though, and I think it's good you got that data. Just for reference.

Lol nah neilanh, I taped a picture of a fish from the Foster & Smith catalogue on the glass and he said, "Get the hell out of here." I tried though lol.

Back
Top Bottom