Fishless cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gialdino171

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, so I have a 10 gal plantless tank and I've been doing a fishless cycle with fish food. The cycle is taking a little longer than it should have because I didn't add enough fish food in the beginning (I think). Here's where I am so far:

1/6- added 1/2 tsp of fish food, 0 amm, 0 nitrite
1/7-1/18 - added 3 pinches each day and night, 0 amm, 0 nitrite
1/19- added 1 tsp, 0.25 amm, 0 nitrite
1/24- 0.50 amm, 0 nitrite

My question is, should I add any more food? If so, when and how much should I add? Also, about 1/4 of the water has evaporated. Should I top it off or will that affect the ammonia level? Thanks.

Forgot to mention, I haven't added any food since 1/19 because I wasn't sure if it was going to stall/throw off the cycle.

I'm in saltwater, but as far as I know...you should still be adding food daily. Just don't let ammonia read over 5ppm.

you need to read the stickies on here. it will tell you how to do the fishless cycle. what you really need to do is get some PURE ammonia and dose your tank up to 4ppm ammonia. then when it drops down dose it back up to 4ppm. make sure your ammonia source is Pure. or you can you a piece of shrimp. I think the ammonia is easier.
as far as the water evaporating you can add more (treated) water to top off your tank. remember - the bacteria are not in the water, they are in the filter, rocks etc. adding more water will not slow you down.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom