Fluval Flora Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fishfanatic said:
The fluval Flora is 12.5*12.5*14 I believe... would these rocks be too large?

I don't think so, but it'd be a good starting point.

Just keep in mind that the filter and co2 unit are in tank. I keep my filter and heater tucked against the back wall against the backgound and have plants grow up around them and they're getting fairly well concealed in the growth.

Mr. Limpet said:
I don't think so, but it'd be a good starting point.

Just keep in mind that the filter and co2 unit are in tank. I keep my filter and heater tucked against the back wall against the backgound and have plants grow up around them and they're getting fairly well concealed in the growth.

True... would it be bad to just take out the 3D foam background? That would give me a little more room to work with.

fishfanatic said:
True... would it be bad to just take out the 3D foam background? That would give me a little more room to work with.

Not sure how that would work, near as I can tell it's glued in there pretty good. You might want to get on Fluvals forum and see what others have done, or what Fluval might suggest. You don't want to ruin it before you get it setup :eek:.

I've been fooling around on my AutoCAD to turn the filter into a kind of a mini canister and get it out of the tank. Be nice to get the heater out too :).

I want to try the tank with the background it looks pretty nice IMO

Mr. Limpet said:
Not sure how that would work, near as I can tell it's glued in there pretty good. You might want to get on Fluvals forum and see what others have done, or what Fluval might suggest. You don't want to ruin it before you get it setup :eek:.

I've been fooling around on my AutoCAD to turn the filter into a kind of a mini canister and get it out of the tank. Be nice to get the heater out too :).

Any luck turning the filter into a canister? I have heard the filter the Flora comes with has quite a bit of room for filter media. I will probably stuff some biomax from my other tank in there.

Last edited:
If I had the money I would buy a Fluval 105 canister filter for it... but I don't :'(

I took all their sponge stuff out and made mine a 4 stage filter that works really good.

Humm.. I think a 105 might be a big big for an 8g tank lol, the intank unit works pretty good so give it a chance is my suggestion.

I'll post a pic in a bit.

Mr. Limpet said:
I took all their sponge stuff out and made mine a 4 stage filter that works really good.

Humm.. I think a 105 might be a big big for an 8g tank lol, the intank unit works pretty good so give it a chance is my suggestion.

I'll post a pic in a bit.

The one it comes with has 4 chambers?! That is just begging to have 2 with Bio and 1 with carbon and the last with the sponge.

Mr. Limpet said:
Here's the pic I was a slacker about getting posted for you and it's not that great to boot lol.

I think I looks great! How do you like the light it came with?

It's great IMO. I can see you adding one more for high light plants, but for my low light plants it's just right. The only thing I was told is you can only use the fluval bulb, but I have time to research if that's fact or marketing propaganda lol.

Mr. Limpet said:
It's great IMO. I can see you adding one more for high light plants, but for my low light plants it's just right. The only thing I was told is you can only use the fluval bulb, but I have time to research if that's fact or marketing propaganda lol.

Good to hear! I read somewhere that a few fluval owners have had problems with there foam background coming lose and floating up and doing major damage. Do you think this is from operator misuse or is this a likely thing to happen?

fishfanatic said:
Good to hear! I read somewhere that a few fluval owners have had problems with there foam background coming lose and floating up and doing major damage. Do you think this is from operator misuse or is this a likely thing to happen?

I hadn't heard that, but I guess it could happen. Mine is like it was welded to the glass, because I was messing with it before I filled it up (I like to take things apart lol) and it's solid. Generally, I find operator error is the problem 99% of the time in my biz (but I still charge them :D).

Can someone post a thread that will walk me through fishless cycling?

Homedog98 said:
Ace hardware janitorial strength ammonia.

Ooo... break out the big guns lol. Do I have to order it online or would home depot have it?

fishfanatic said:
Ooo... break out the big guns lol. Do I have to order it online or would home depot have it?

Ace hardware store has it... I guess you could order online... But there may be some restrictions.

Homedog98 said:
Ace hardware store has it... I guess you could order online... But there may be some restrictions.

I just found out there is an Ace hardware 6.4 miles away :). How much will I need to buy to cycle a 7.9 gallon tank?

Back
Top Bottom