Fluval Flora Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Homedog98 said:
Ace hardware janitorial strength ammonia.

Will it be titled janitorial strength ammonia? And is it 100% aquarium safe?

Rookie brings up a good point.

With the tank you have running now, use some filter media/gravel/etc to help seed the flora tank. Since it's only 8g, you should be able to almost instant cycle that tank.

Doesn't matter what size it it... As long as you stock lightly at first, especially with the plants, you'll be fine. I haven't cycled a tank since the tank I cycled to figure out how a fishless cycle works after I first learned of it.

Doesn't matter what size it it... As long as you stock lightly at first, especially with the plants, you'll be fine. I haven't cycled a tank since the tank I cycled to figure out how a fishless cycle works after I first learned of it.

You're right, but smaller tanks cycle faster. At least mine does :D.

I have a 40 gallon fully cycled tank. If I take some biomax out of that canister and put it in the filter of the fluval I should be good to go? Do I still need the ammonia or do I just add 1-2 fish?

Oh yeah, I hate those self temp set ones. It's compact, aluminum body (glass ones scare me given the Stealth Pro Recall), looks good (all black) and has actual temp numbers rather than the +/- joke gauge. On one of them the temp is a bit off from the marks, but others it's spot on, but I use floating/sinking thermometers in all my tanks, so it's a non-issue for me.
The stealth pro isn't glass, it's a black plastic tube. The glass to be concerned with when using one is the tank glass lol.

I have a 40 gallon fully cycled tank. If I take some biomax out of that canister and put it in the filter of the fluval I should be good to go? Do I still need the ammonia or do I just add 1-2 fish?
Just start adding fish. I would get the tank set up, add plants, give them a week or two to get rooted, then add the biomax and put a couple fish in the next day. Obviously any fish you get are going to have a very small bioload, so between the plants and the biomax, you'll be just fine I'm sure.

mfdrookie516 said:
Just start adding fish. I would get the tank set up, add plants, give them a week or two to get rooted, then add the biomax and put a couple fish in the next day. Obviously any fish you get are going to have a very small bioload, so between the plants and the biomax, you'll be just fine I'm sure.

Do plants consume nitrAtes or nitrItes? Or ether

I need to get a heater for the fluval... my basement is ushualy about 69°F what would be a good small slick heater? I want it to have a temperature control and I want it to last a very long time (if that is possible) Thanks!

Pretty late on the reply here, but I am a big fan of the Ebo Jager heaters personally. I have some that I got used over 5 years ago that are still going strong. The only downside is that they are kind of bulky compared to some other brands.

FWIW, the Stealth Pro recall has absolutely nothing to do with glass heaters. Stealth and Stealth Pro are plastic.

*edit* ninja'd by jeta. That's what I get for skimming through. LOL.

Last edited:
More than one man, I've seen some crazy blowouts in addition to that one. I am so glad I never bought a Stealth Pro.

Now, back on topic... ;)

fishfanatic said:
O man! I would sue so fast! All of my fish, all the plants, I would be so mad! I have the aqueon (something like that) heater. Has anyone had problems with those?

HAHA! I agree.

Did you get the Aqueon Pro 50w that we talked about earlier? That's the one I have and it's great.

Mr. Limpet said:
HAHA! I agree.

Did you get the Aqueon Pro 50w that we talked about earlier? That's the one I have and it's great.

I ordered the 50 Watt and in my 40 gallon I have a 150 watt aqueon

Back
Top Bottom