Fluval Flora Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just bought a nano drop checker off eBay. Lets see if that cheap co2 system can get the solution green (probably not). I hope the co2 will do better than I think it will.

I was looking through a plant book that I bought and I found this moss called Fissidens fontanus (Phoenix Moss). The book shows this picture... does it always grow like that (in mounds)
I looked on plantgeek and they didn't have it

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110602_205953.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110602_205953.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 143
jetajockey said:
Mine grows in little puffs. I broke one apart and it made a bunch of mini puffs lol

I am hoping for a rolling hill kind of look in my Flora would this be the right stuff?

if you can find it in that large of quantities, yeah. Might be easier to do it with something else though. Flame moss grows upward which is cool, I haven't tried keeping it yet though.

jetajockey said:
if you can find it in that large of quantities, yeah. Might be easier to do it with something else though. Flame moss grows upward which is cool, I haven't tried keeping it yet though.

I am upset to hear that is grows so slow :'(. I was hoping it would grow the same speed as Dwarf Baby Tears. Flame moss looks way cool but I am looking for plants that don't get very tall. I am thinking for my tank mostly Dwarf Baby Tears, on the right side a small mound of Phoenix moss, and some grass or something in the back.

Could I keep a pair of balloon rams in my Flora (7.9 gallons). Or what are some other stocking options? I really want to breed the fish. And it would be a bonus if the parents would take care of the young.

Okey I just wanted to check. The only nano fish I know about are Clown Killifish. What others are there out there, and are they easy to breed?

Not sure but here's a pretty cool website that asks you questions on different issues and gives interesting results. I bookmarked this one right away for future reference :cool:

▷ ▶Choosing a Fresh Water Fish to Breed (more for beginner aquariests) SelectSmart.com free Pets personality test, selector quiz, matching, choose, compare.

I agree about the rams. They really should be in a larger tank, plus balloon fish are deformed but that's another topic in itself.

Celestial pearl danios make good nano fish, there are also several rasbora species that do well. Endlers would be simple enough to breed and fit well also.

3 of the fish species I caught today at the swamp would work out also if you are into natives. I'm building colonies of each species. They are least killifish, pygmy killifish, and gulf coast pygmy sunfish.

jetajockey said:
I agree about the rams. They really should be in a larger tank, plus balloon fish are deformed but that's another topic in itself.

Celestial pearl danios make good nano fish, there are also several rasbora species that do well. Endlers would be simple enough to breed and fit well also.

3 of the fish species I caught today at the swamp would work out also if you are into natives. I'm building colonies of each species. They are least killifish, pygmy killifish, and gulf coast pygmy sunfish.

Balloon fish are deformed? Is mine deformed

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110603_125003.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110603_125003.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 142
Yes, they are selectively bred from deformed fish to be 'appealing' to some. I find it disgusting and morally wrong. But, that's a topic for another thread... don't want to turn your build in to a discussion on breeding practices.

I am NEVER buying a balloon fish!..... non of the stuff for the tank I have ordered has come :(. There is always tomorrow.

jetajockey said:

Any other good nano fish? I want something that is out of the ordanary. I want the fish to be perfect. (That is why I am being so picky lol)

check the classifieds for severum mama and hn1's list. They have some incredible nano fish. I'm getting 9 chili rasboras for my 20 long in the next few weeks from a friend, those are some neat little fish.

Back
Top Bottom