Fred's tank is ready

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarasein

Aquarium Advice Regular
Wow, you can get an instant cycle with old filter material. I have been waiting on Fred's 10 g to cycle and since my 29 g was done, I took out part of the filter. I took it over to his new tank and put it in this morning. Tested tonight and cycle is done. Adjusted the temp, added a little ammonia. Need to do a large water change to get rid of the extra NO3.

So, how many starter RCS would you suggest? I am expecting them to bread, so I was guessing 10? And of course, Fred will move in after the shrimp are hear.

And how do you care for shrimp? I know how to take care of Fred, but no idea of the shrimp.

I would suggest that you start out with ghost shrimp first. Why I say this is because they are a great starter shrimp and they are great starters for putting them with bettas (just in case your betta starts to get hungry). Maybe once your betta does not eat the shrimp for awhile and the tank is more established, then you could possily get some red cherry shrimp.

Shrimp are actually pretty easy to to take care of. Just make sure to keep up the water changes and make sure they get something to eat every once and awhile (like shrimp pellets or algae wafers). I have 3 crystal red shrimp, 5 red cherry shrimp, 6 Amano shrimp in a 30 gallon planted community tank.

Back
Top Bottom