FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After some research, turns out the flow is from the bottom up (why did I think differently?). I cannot see how this will work as a CO2 reactor ?
I could get it anyway and use it as a supplemental filter and can run the CO2 diffuser under the intake. Or spend a little more, get the 302B and retire the AC50.
I think I got the BPS right. DC green to greenish yellow, plants are pearling.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

From the looks of the canister the pump & inlet look to be interchangeable..correct me if I'm looking at it wrong..

sit in silence...

Those look to be tightening nuts at the base of the pump&inlet? If this is right then the mini could possibly be used as a reactor...
On a side note,at 3bps through the cerges reactor had me in yellow so dialed it back to 2bps to get that lime...

sit in silence...

The SunSun HW603 and HW603B appear to differ in that the former appears to have a pump integrated in the lid while the latter has an external pump. It appears that with the HW603B the pump can be connected to the top and push water into the canister or possible connected to the bottom and reversed (draw water out of the canister at the bottom). This just might work.

Throwback Thursday! Here's a pick of my tank from almost exactly two years ago (7/15/2013). Had just recently started using diy CO2 at the time and certain plants (Broadleaf chain sword) responded very well to it. Sorry for the glare.
AdENiW2.jpg

Back to the present. The BPS is around 3.5 and the plants are looking nicer. DC looks more yellow than green. Since a 24 oz CO2 tank lasts over four months, maybe I don't need a reactor.
The Eichornia diversifolia in the foreground got trimmed back. I'd like to get a healthy crop going. Would look nicer if I trimmed off the blue/black dead leaves. Pogostemon quadrifolius peeking up in the background next to the Pogostemon erectus:
uZDw1E8.png

The AR mini has been a challenge. I trimmed and replanted the tips to increase the stock:
rq3v5XQ.png

Limnophilia aromatica as a midground plant? Actually, I'm keeping them short while i try to increase the number of growing stems. The Rotala macrandra has been a consistent grower:
fuxLyUI.png

Lookin good fresh! Love evolution shots like that.

Throwback Thursday! Here's a pick of my tank from almost exactly two years ago (7/15/2013). Had just recently started using diy CO2 at the time and certain plants (Broadleaf chain sword) responded very well to it. Sorry for the glare.
AdENiW2.jpg

Back to the present. The BPS is around 3.5 and the plants are looking nicer. DC looks more yellow than green. Since a 24 oz CO2 tank lasts over four months, maybe I don't need a reactor.
The Eichornia diversifolia in the foreground got trimmed back. I'd like to get a healthy crop going. Would look nicer if I trimmed off the blue/black dead leaves. Pogostemon quadrifolius peeking up in the background next to the Pogostemon erectus:
uZDw1E8.png

The AR mini has been a challenge. I trimmed and replanted the tips to increase the stock:
rq3v5XQ.png

Limnophilia aromatica as a midground plant? Actually, I'm keeping them short while i try to increase the number of growing stems. The Rotala macrandra has been a consistent grower:
fuxLyUI.png

Wow! So many changes. Nice tank evolution.

Thanks guys! You wanna see more? Go to post #206 and you'll see 15 months of changes from late 2012 to early 2014.

Thanks guys! You wanna see more? Go to post #206 and you'll see 15 months of changes from late 2012 to early 2014.

Man, i went back and saw one of OS' posts. Wish he was still on, is he still active on TPT?
And I've been told he has a secret to getting AR mini to be magically amazing.
Oh and your tank is nice :D that's cool to see a pretty drastic change like that, especially from beginning to now!

Man, i went back and saw one of OS' posts. Wish he was still on, is he still active on TPT?
And I've been told he has a secret to getting AR mini to be magically amazing.
Oh and your tank is nice :D that's cool to see a pretty drastic change like that, especially from beginning to now!

Yeah I miss talking him. His AR mini were superb. My shipment from him was in a box for about 10 days in the dead of winter and, despite that, they were crisp and vibrant. They did fine the first year but since then it has been a struggle. I have several stems I am currently trying to propagate. I want to keep this crop growing as a "tribute". Corny, yeah.

Yeah I miss talking him. His AR mini were superb. My shipment from him was in a box for about 10 days in the dead of winter and, despite that, they were crisp and vibrant. They did fine the first year but since then it has been a struggle. I have several stems I am currently trying to propagate. I want to keep this crop growing as a "tribute". Corny, yeah.

You could sell one stem on the AA black market for like a hundred bucks!
The last time I remember him actively on here was when, on some thread, Brookster wrote him a letter. I think it was on one of Brookster's threads actually....

You could sell one stem on the AA black market for like a hundred bucks!
The last time I remember him actively on here was when, on some thread, Brookster wrote him a letter. I think it was on one of Brookster's threads actually....

Oh yeah, I remember that! Tanks from people such as OS and Rivercats, and even your's Fresh, convinced me to upgrade and try the high tech approach.

What's up Fresh...Nice transitional pics bro ! Wish i had some pics of the 10g volcanoe w/bubbler w/colored blue&red pebbles,thought to be a genius layout at the time...Lol
You still contemplating the canister idea?

sit in silence...

What's up Fresh...Nice transitional pics bro ! Wish i had some pics of the 10g volcanoe w/bubbler w/colored blue&red pebbles,thought to be a genius layout at the time...Lol
You still contemplating the canister idea?

sit in silence...

Ha, we all start somewhere.
I thought about the canister (as a reactor and for filtration). Then I get distracted and put it off. I'm sure the use of one for filtration will help keep my tank cleaner looking but unless the mechanical media is changed regularly, it really comes down to where the physical waste is residing (in the tank versus in the filter). At the moment the AC50 with polyfil changed weekly is working for me. Sure, things get cloudy when replanting but the EcoComplete has been in place 3 months shy of 3 years.
Not sure if I really need a canister for CO2 distribution. The 3.5 bps was producing a yellow DC so I backed it off a bit a few days ago. Got it around 2-3 bps. Plants are digging it. Fish are themselves (swim around freely when I'm not in the room).
Here is a pic from from 5 days ago but it is already dated; several stems of pogo, Ludwigia, and Rotala macrandra are near the surface already. Pleased that the trimmed Limnophilia aromatica "bottoms" have produced multiple buds. Hoping to get the AR mini to its former glory. I might switch back to the AquaFertz root pellets since it worked well in the past.
r3BJjgM.png

Update! Well not much to update. Plants are growing. That's all.
Here is a pic 9 days after the previous one. Time for a trim.
8BmlMRW.png

Bummed about possibly missing another local aquatic society monthly meeting. Been about 6 months since the last one. They always fall on the first Saturday of the month and there's always something going on (graduations, vacations, other events). The auction part is the X factor where you can get some really good deals on just about anything. Also good for meeting up with like minded folks face to face.

Bummer dude. I love my local aquarium society meetings. The auctions are awsome. Ours is on the 2nd sat of the month.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Update! Well not much to update. Plants are growing. That's all.
Here is a pic 9 days after the previous one. Time for a trim.
8BmlMRW.png

Bummed about possibly missing another local aquatic society monthly meeting. Been about 6 months since the last one. They always fall on the first Saturday of the month and there's always something going on (graduations, vacations, other events). The auction part is the X factor where you can get some really good deals on just about anything. Also good for meeting up with like minded folks face to face.

Tank is lookin great as always!

20L Mafia...

I never sent the golden tetras to the LFS like I thought I was going to do 6 months ago. Had them since 2007 so there is an attachment factor there. They have been living in the QT. Only have two left and I moved them to the planted tank just now. Since my fish usually hide in the jungle this should not be any different. Here is a pic of them with one of the otos:
d7ryBQQ.png

Cleaned out the QT and on my way to the LFS to get more CPDs. Added a black background to reduce the light from the window. Got my cooler and coupon in hand:
21iU213.png

Back
Top Bottom