Frontosa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bet you could net them during feeding...They arent as fast as a Mbuna. Just put the net in a few hours before you feed so they get used to it. Feed them and snatch em up. Saves you a breakdown. You need to master that skill anyway. When you get females holding they need to come out if you want to keep the fry. Thats the downside of a super awesome deco tank like you have.

Jmedic25 said:
I bet you could net them during feeding...They arent as fast as a Mbuna. Just put the net in a few hours before you feed so they get used to it. Feed them and snatch em up. Saves you a breakdown. You need to master that skill anyway. When you get females holding they need to come out if you want to keep the fry. Thats the downside of a super awesome deco tank like you have.

Thanks brother I'll do just that.

That may be Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum? Doesn't quite look like a front. I could be wrong though. Same situation regardless unfortunately.

Jmedic- the standard frontosa in the hobby wholesale at under $10. The fish that command the larger prices are wild caught, with a documented collection point, or are offspring from known variants.

Convict- I know it sucks, but this should really illustrate why the need to research first is paramount. I tend to agree that your LFS should have better advice to offer, but at least now you know not to trust their advice unchecked again. Hang in there. I'm hoping that everything goes better than expected with the catch.

Ill tell you what, after a few months of stripping, breaking down, ect...It really makes you appreciate the all male idea. Its hard to breed, keep fry, and have a show tank all in one. I can break mine down in about 15 min. Its kind of in between a breeder and show tank.

That may be Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum? Doesn't quite look like a front. I could be wrong though. Same situation regardless unfortunately.

Jmedic- the standard frontosa in the hobby wholesale at under $10. The fish that command the larger prices are wild caught, with a documented collection point, or are offspring from known variants.

Convict- I know it sucks, but this should really illustrate why the need to research first is paramount. I tend to agree that your LFS should have better advice to offer, but at least now you know not to trust their advice unchecked again. Hang in there. I'm hoping that everything goes better than expected with the catch.

Ahh that stinks, Yeah im not a front guy..I was just kinda wishful thinking for con...(he stresses too much) lol

mfdrookie516 said:
I was thinking sexfasciatus... definitely doesn't look like fronts though.

So it may not be? I'm going to net them either way. Just curious to know what I have.

The Neolamprologus species (N. sexfasciatus & N. tretneolamprologus) can easily be ruled out as potential candidates: the dorsal fins of these fish always starts on the lighter stripe and the eye stripe doesn't extend below the eye or form a mask. Also there are some stripe shape differences.

Frontosa dorsal fins always begin on the darker stripe, and your fish have the bar extending below the eye.

The shape of their eye-bar rules out all of the southern frontosa's (the 'gibberosa's) and the kigoma (that variant has seven stripes), leaving only the kavala and burundi frontosa variants as candidates, and of these two the latter variant (the burundi) is more blue.

Conclusion: You've got two burundi variant frontosa's.

That could be a Frontosa. The head looks longer and a little different shape. Could be because its a juvi.

Agreed. I think the young age of these fish and perhaps a quality issue is making the heads of these frontosa's look different from that of larger juvies and of course matured specimens.

How big are these two fish?

Thank's for pointing that out, I overlooked it.
Yeah, at an inch these are really tiny fronts.

I got an idea maybe this will help. Tomorrow I'm gonna make a video and post to you tube. I'll post the link here and maybe that will help us identify what I have? I'm just gonna disable the comments on YouTube I don't wanna get bashed for something that wasn't my fault totally. I should have researched before hand so I had some knowledge. But I REFUSE to take 100% of the blame.

Me and my fish will get through this!!

I have frontosa and they are awesome fish, very calm but they can hold thier own, depending on the aggression in your tank you could keep or rehome. Of all the Africans I've kept they are my favourite. They would be much more comfortable without mbuna but I kept my first group a few years back with mbuna with no issues. My current group used to live with yellow labs again with no issues.

I LOVE MY FRONTOSAS!!!! Heck, i love em so much that I've got a tank dedicated to them.

That said, they shouldn't be in with your mbuna. I was also told they could be mixed but after learning about them I put them in a different tank. For starters, males can reach up to 16".

Good luck catching them, they are fast as lightening!!! One second you see em and the next you don't lol.

Back
Top Bottom