fry help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pongeer247

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my 14 gallon set about or about 2 weeks now. I have 2 guppies (male and female) for about 8 to 9 days now. I got them know they would reproduce quickly, but was not expecting to have fry already. Im pretty sure the female was prego when we got her. What should I do? Ive been reading up on all this, but got caught of gaurd in a way. Will this situation change how I do my water changes? I also have 4 cardinal tets, a pleco and two african dwarf frogs. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Do you have a extra tank If you don't the guppies will probably eat the fry

You need to separate them really or the parents will eat them, you can get small floating separation tanks from the aquatic retailers they are relatively cheap,

I have the same situation I managed to save 5 fry

If you don't separate them the parents or any other fish will gobble them up in a flash!!

So far we have 3 fry that we can see. Going to make-shift a separator for them. Any special feeding that they need?

Mine had little ones about a week ago I saved 9 first bites also, I'm really looking forward to seeing what colour they are and hope there are lots of males as they are much more colourful!

Congrats Shane! I'm working on preparing for the next batch. It's pretty exciting, just worried its going to be overwhelming lol.

Thanks pongeer

I'm the same I have a small 30ltr tank in my kitchen the 8 that survived massively risk overcrowding it!!
And I swear the other female is about to drop! I may have to put them in with my sinspilium cichlid

Attachments

• image-842826976.jpg
    image-842826976.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 81
Whilst doing a 20% water change the kids came out to play lol

Attachments

• image-335710841.jpg
    image-335710841.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 83
I've heard that people do that but I don't think I could bring myself to do it! When i was rounding up the fry to sepperate them i axidentily killed one with yhe net and felt really ba. No I think if I let them fend for themselves in the kitchen tank the parents would probably eat them anyway,
Failing that another new tank? (The wife wouldn't be too happy)

Ya, I got yeld at when I brought up another tank as well. Unfortunetly it's something I have to do until they are big enough to fend for themselves or I can give them away or to a lfs. A few of my fry are starting to gain color, I also noticed their tail fins starting to take a more distinctive shape. Still hard to see them though

Glad to say the guppy fry are doing great! On has almost full color. The other 4 are starting to Gain color now. On top of it momma guppy has been prego for about a week now.

What colour are they? Out of the 9 fry just 7 have made it, they don't have any colour now - they are 3 weeks old now I read they don't really get colour for about 5 weeks

They are going to be blue and silver. My wife deleted the pictures I had of the mom and dad. They are the same colors though so the fry will be pretty standard. I'll post pictures when I get home. When will I be able to sex them? I've heard a few different things, just not sure.

Back
Top Bottom