gen'l question re: going with eclipse hood vs nano cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maam2u

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!
i need to combine 2 small planted tanks into one. i don't wantt to go any larger than 12 gal.

either i go with a 10gal (10.5x20in) with a eclipse 1 hood (plus a retrofit kit giving me 32watts).
this tank is clear all around, and has a nice length for the fish, and the filtration system doesn't take away 'fish space'

-or-

the 12 gal nano cube deluxe with 2-24watt bulbs.
this has a black back, and is more squat (hence the 'cube' designation), but frankly, i don't know how much 'real estate' the filter system takes up in the back of the tank.

any thoughts?

thank you!

If I had to choose, I'd go with the nanocube. In my opinion, it just has a better design. The filter, from what I'ver read and heard, doesn't take up much space at all. You still get 12 gallons of swimming room in the tank, it's just about 5 inches deeper than the 10 gallon you are looking at. It also has better lighting. 48 watts will give you 4 WPG, as opposed to less than 3 WPG with the 32 watt Eclipse. It's just a unique design too. More unique than your basic 10 gallon tank. ;)

HTH

You may have to replace the bulb/bulbs in a Nanocube... I think some of them come with 50/50 bulbs like my Satellite strip did, and your plants won't be able to utilize the actinic part of the spectrum if that's the case. That said, I really like the design of the Nanocube and I've heard really good things about its lighting and filtration system. Plus you won't have to look at an intake tube like you would with the Eclipse system. Those Eclipse hoods are super expensive for what you get IMO.

Back
Top Bottom