Getting a Betta! Need Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my tank now but I have goldfish not Betta...I'm getting a new tank though cause this one is a little Tiny for goldfish

Attachments

• image-329043659.jpg
    image-329043659.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 91
  • image-2168966852.jpg
    image-2168966852.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 85
  • image-1278577202.jpg
    image-1278577202.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 94
Thanks this was my old hermit crab tank but people say it way to small so
I'm getting like a 39 gallon from my grandma who's angel fish just died RIP

Awwwww....thts sad. But 39 gallons?! Thts outrageous. I wish I could get a tank that big...

Well my goldfish are surviving and they need a 75 gallon one in a couple years but don't worry ur good with that beta tank

Ok, thx goldfishgirl. Ill just keep the tank I have and then upgrade to a bigger one later on.

ChibiRedPanda said:
Ok. Well, I really dont know how big my tank is.... my tank isnt fancy, but I will get some rocks and stuff.

Looks like a hermit crab habitat or something... where did you buy it? To get dimensions all you have to do is measure the length, width, and height.

I can't find the exact one but. I found a dora the explorer one (lol) that is pink that looks about the same as yours. The pink one is 3.83 gallons.

I have a betta who lives in a 5 gallon tank right now. Hes spoiled with a cheapy filter (which doesn't stir the water around too much because bettas dont take too well to current.) and a heater every now and again when I feel he needs it (if its cold outside and hes not eating try a undergravel 10 buck heater thats why I got one because he wasnt eating and it worked!). BUT! I had a better before him who lived in a smaller home no heater no filter and he lived a long and happy life. I didn't cycle my tank since it was so tiny (both my 5 gallon and my 2 gallon or whatever it was) but every week to every other week I would put him in a cup and rinse out his rocks and give him all new water. Just be sure to put conditioner in EVERYTIME. I didn't once and my fish was near death with in hours. I'm suprised he made it! Gave me a scare. Personally I wouldn't put any other fish with a betta. I know a few people who have, and the betta chased the other fish to death. ): plus with neons you have to cycle the tank and have to have air flow, so a pump becomes nessesary. Keeping fish alive definatally gets more complicated with fish other than betta! Hope this post helped!!!

Lol thanks max. So will my 3.83 gallon tank work for my betta? And then maybe upgrade to a bigger tank later on?

Oh. I might get my betta tomorrow...maybe, maybe not.

I would say not :)

First, your goldfish:
-are in a tank way too small for them. The first goldfish needs 20 gallons and 10 gallons for any additional, I can't tell from the pic how many you have in there but for 2 you would need at least a 30 gal and for 3 at leat a 40 gal.
-I'm glad you're getting a bigger tank. That would probably need to be for the goldfish
-how are you caring for the goldfish now? Do you do water changes? how often? does the tank have a filter?

For the Betta (or any other new fish):
-don't even think about getting one until your tank is cycled. You'll need a heater and a good filter too, and if your tank is <5 gals it might be tough to put those things in, but they are needed. If you can return the smaller tank and save up for a bigger one that would be best.
-if you listen to nothing else I say at least cycle the empty tank first before you put anything else in! (Read this on fishless cycling) Otherwise there's a good chance the new fish will get sick and diem (and you'll have to monitor the water closely with a test kit and change the water every day). It's best to take your time and do it right and provide a good home for your fish.
-also tetras and bettas may or may not get along (in a tank that small I would definitely say not) and the tetras need to be in a school of at least 6, plus they need a much larger swimming area. YOur small tank is even really too small for a betta, but if you are intent on putting it in there at least cycle it first, as I said. But no other fish than that. Otherwise it could make a good shrimp tank. :)

making sure there is no ammonia or nitrites in the water

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom