Getting rid of Diatoms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey,

I am having a fight with diatoms in my 10 gallon. The tank is relatively new so I am guessing that si why but I am worried about my plants especially my water sprite and wisteria. The leaves are harder to wipe off since they are so spindly. I do water changed every Sunday. I dont think I am overfeeding. The tetras get just a tiny pinch of flakes and my betta eats pelts but i drop in one at a time till he ingores one. I did buy a mystery snail but I have read mixed reviews on rather or not they will eat diatoms.

Any suggestion on how to get rid of them would be great.

They won't hurt anything and are perfectly normal in a new tank. They will go away eventually. A couple oto's couldn't hurt either, they're cool to watch! The silica in your new tank water will break down and the diatoms will begin to vanish on their own.

What I did for my 20 long, was buy a bristle nose pleco. He ate up pretty much 90% of the diatoms in a matter of hours.

The same day I also upgraded my lighting from a single zoomed 17w 6500k t8, to an aqueon dual lamp T5NO 18w 6700k/ 18w colormax fixture, and set the lighting for 9 hours.

They haven't returned since, so hopefully it stays that way.

What I did for my 20 long, was buy a bristle nose pleco. He ate up pretty much 90% of the diatoms in a matter of hours.

The same day I also upgraded my lighting from a single zoomed 17w 6500k t8, to an aqueon dual lamp T5NO 18w 6700k/ 18w colormax fixture, and set the lighting for 9 hours.

They haven't returned since, so hopefully it stays that way.

Is this the fixture? Aqueon » T5 Dual Lamp Fixture | Products

I'll check into the Plecos...the diatomes are still in my tank, probably dying off, and I don't have to scrape the glass anywhere near as often as before...

I just looked at the pleco...they get pretty big, 4-6 inches. I have a 56 column tank, and I'm thinking that would be a little too large for me. I might add another Oto or 2.

Last edited:
Otos are just as good if not better cleaners than bristle nose plecos. I didn't go with them because I have larger cichlids in my tank and they wouldn't last.

Yeah, that fixture is the one I got. I'm sure it's cheaper online, but I got it at petsmart for $70.

I wanted a brighter light than the single strip t8, but not one as expensive/bright as a T5H0/double LED setup, and it fit the bill for me pretty well.

In a 20g nerites are the best choice for dealing with diatoms plus they also eat bio-film, green dust algae, and green spot algae which no other algae eater is capable of scraping off. They will also add no extra to the tanks bio-load. Oto's are great little fish but most are wild caught and do better in a mature tank of at least 6 months old. They are often difficult to acclimate. As for phosphates you need at least .5ppm in a planted tank. Using a phosphate remover in a planted tank isn't a good idea.

In a 20g nerites are the best choice for dealing with diatoms plus they also eat bio-film, green dust algae, and green spot algae which no other algae eater is capable of scraping off. They will also add no extra to the tanks bio-load. Oto's are great little fish but most are wild caught and do better in a mature tank of at least 6 months old. They are often difficult to acclimate. As for phosphates you need at least .5ppm in a planted tank. Using a phosphate remover in a planted tank isn't a good idea.

The only reason I wad running PhosGuard was to bring the level down from over 10ppm or whatever the highest reading on the API kits is. My test yesterday had be between 0.5 & 1ppm.

Back
Top Bottom