Goby cichlids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freakgecko91

Aquarium Advice Addict
Finally found myself a pair locally, thanks to my awesome LFS. Spathodus erythrodon "Burundi". They're WC And are awesome!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400809416.732984.jpg

You should probably just send those over here so they can live in my 120. ;)

Lol they're $36 each, but I am tearing all my tanks down to move to Maryland, so I traded my group of 6 geophagus pindare (4") for the pair, fingers crossed they spawn when I get their home setup in Maryland :D

Goby cichlids are so cool. My brother has some Eretmodus Cyanostictus Kasanga WC that are amazing. First time I'd ever seen any of the Goby Cichlids or even heard of them for that matter. Very nice fish you have. Good luck.

Beautiful fish, I'd love it get some in the future. I really like oddball cichlids.

Goby cichlids are so cool. My brother has some Eretmodus Cyanostictus Kasanga WC that are amazing. First time I'd ever seen any of the Goby Cichlids or even heard of them for that matter. Very nice fish you have. Good luck.

What does WC stand for?

Sent from my LG-D959 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was having a discussion with the owner of my LFS the other day, and he was saying he'd take F1 over anything, as they have better colors than the parents, but still retain much of the wild traits

F1 would be first generation of tank spawned fry of wc?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The captive bred/raised fry of wild caught parents.

Sad news, I know my tank is currently lacking rock work, and I think the 20 long I'm moving my tangs to will be better as my tank is currently a 39 column, but the multis have claimed the entire tank and have banished the gobies to the top near the filter intake. Luckily they can perch on the suction cups that hold it to the wall. Only 3 days till I move, so hopefully I can come up with a quick fix.

In other tang news, I got 2 new baby lophiobagrus cyclurus (dwarf Tanganyikan bullhead catfish). Hopefully my juvies don't try and eat them lol so far so good. I lost one of my larger ones to a mystery injury where the skin got ripped off it's side, think it got into a right with my bristlenose over a cave

Yeah F1 is first generation. And I wouldn't think there would be that much of a difference between F1 and wild as it is just one generation. The only way I could see that being true is if you were just to handpick the best looking fry and go with them. This is how they achieve these vibrant colors in some fish and it doesnt happen in just one generation. I just don't understand how putting wild caught fish in a tank and then breeding them and they have better colors than the parents. Makes no sense to me at all and I wouldn't believe that but maybe there is something I don't know.

They're being fed color-enhancing foods their entire lives. It truly does make a difference. And I believe what this guy says, seeing as he is one of the top pleco breeders in the entire country and has several species many never even see. He also breeds many apisto species, as well as fronts, cyprichromis, several shell dweller species, many livebearers, and even some other catfish species.

The only thing I could see being somewhat true to this is the color enhancing foods. Typically wild caught fish are more the most colorful unless it is a tank bred line such as Apistogramma Agassizii Fire Red which aren't found in the wild. Think about it, you take a fish from it's natural environment which it has lived its whole life and confine it in a tank. The fish isn't going to get better coloring by putting it in a tank so if anything when it starts to get comfortable, it might not get back to the full coloring it had in the wild. I guess possibly I could see them being better colored as they were born in a tank not knowing the wonderful world of living wild in a river so they have more full color as they aren't stressed like the wild caught parents confined to a tank. Just not sure about that. Thats a good question.

I said better color. I didn't say completely different color, like in agassizi double red, German blue rams, electric blue acaras, or anything else like that. Those are tank bred, line bred strains. I'm talking about wild type fish. The f1 typically end up with a richer or better coloring than the parents, due not only to color enhancing foods, but also the availability of food, and general lack of stress, coupled with extremely clean water

Thats what I was talking, about better color. I know what a line bred strain is which is why I explained that before I explained any of that. I asked a few people and got a couple answers either way. I'm just not sold on it. For me, I like to try to breed them so I want them as close to wild as possible if they aren't wild.

This is probably useless to your guys conversation, I recently scooped up some wild caught gbr's and they looked pretty boring at the lfs but I wanted to see what would happen with coloration.. a month later they're looking pretty snazzy, not crazy effervescent I like a tank bred gbr but what you're saying about getting comfortable and regaining some of that coloration holds a lot of truth..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is no such thing as a wild caught GBR. There are wild caugh BR (blue ram) but the German Blue Ram is a 100% tank bred strain from selective breeding of the Blue Ram in Germany which is why it's a German Blue Ram

*iridescent. Although, I have no doubt that your fish have quite the effervescent personality. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom