Good fish for a 20 long in a special education classroom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're seeding the tank I'd just start off with filter media and a few tetras (maybe 3-4), and it should cycle through within a week. Stock slowly from there and you're golden. I've done this probably a hundred times. I really don't see the need to cycle with ammonia if you can just take it slow instead, it's much easier IMO.

He kinda wants to get it set up by the time school starts (3 weeks from today). I want to do a fish less cycle for as long as possible, but when school starts what can I have on there? I'm going to start cycling tomorrow. I will try to seed it as much as I can with a moss ball, filter media, maybe some gravel... Ideas?

If you have filter media, you're basically cycled since that's we're most of the BB will be found. To speed up the process add DW, substrate,plants, ornaments from an established tank. That with some hardy fish pretty much gets you set- up ... Then it's just a couple of months to let the tank mature some more for more sensitive fish.

This is how I'll go about setting up my 20gal long after my first day of school, but I'll be setting mine up at home, not in my science lab.(y)

I agree with SM about popping in some media and a few smaller fish. This is how I've cycled most of my tanks and it really is less of a hassle than fishless IMO. You've gotten a bunch of other good ideas, but here's my two cents:

I love tetras so I would say a nice school (8-10) of Bloodfin or Glowlight Tetras, both are colorful but the Bloodfins are more active. Maybe some Kuhlis Loaches (6 or so) for the bottom and then maybe a few male Fancy Guppies (3-5). I think that would make it a colorful, active, and interesting tank to watch.

They're pretty hardy, but can be aggressive with one another and with other fish as well.

I know this is a bit far from what your looking for but figure your still weighing your options anyways. What about an arboreal species of frog. Maybe some dart frogs. It would be different, eye catching, and gives you the possibility to showcase the way frogs breed and develop which everyone finds interesting :)... Plus it'll weigh about 160 lbs less lmao

Mrc8858 said:
I know this is a bit far from what your looking for but figure your still weighing your options anyways. What about an arboreal species of frog. Maybe some dart frogs. It would be different, eye catching, and gives you the possibility to showcase the way frogs breed and develop which everyone finds interesting :)... Plus it'll weigh about 160 lbs less lmao

While I love the idea... Not in a special education environment. I'm afraid they would be let out.

heyheyitsrae said:
While I love the idea... Not in a special education environment. I'm afraid they would be let out.

True : /

mikeISright said:
Ide do a dwarf gourami, 5 corys, and a school of 7-8 neon or glowlight tetras.

I'd really love it if I could convince him to do something along those lines. So far he only agrees with the corys, and then just walks up and down the aisle pointing out what he wants. Sigh... I'll have to be tactful about this.

Honestly do what you want to do. We can offer adive but in the end nothing we say matters (well... ). All that matters is that you pick fish that you want to pick and that the fish will be happy and healthy. If you want a gourami do a dwarf gourami. What im trying to say is dont pick something you wont like because someone on here said they like it.

What about a betta and a small school of tetras and the corys of course lol

mikeISright said:
Honestly do what you want to do. We can offer adive but in the end nothing we say matters (well... ). All that matters is that you pick fish that you want to pick and that the fish will be happy and healthy. If you want a gourami do a dwarf gourami. What im trying to say is dont pick something you wont like because someone on here said they like it.

It's not really my end decision either though. If he really wants to put a 3 inch bala shark in his tank without doing the research then I can't stop him. He has like 10 different species he wants.

Well thats true. I guess its technicaly his. Which is why he has to uderstand that he has to correctly stock or his kids are going to see a lot of dead fish which nobody wants.

Mrc8858 said:
What about a betta and a small school of tetras and the corys of course lol

I don't think the betta is showy enough for him. He wants an oddball fish. He likes the idea of the rainbow shark. Could I make that work with the corys and everything? Arent rainbow sharks bottom dweller algae eater fish?

Edit: I don't think oddball is the right word. He wants to brag that he has a "shark" in his tank.

The rainbow will grow to large needs a 50 and will terrorize small fish especially bottom dwellers

Back
Top Bottom