Got duped into buying a Chinese Algae Eater. Should I return it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigDaddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought what I was told was a Siamese Algae Eater but it's actually a Chinese. In a tank with 9 platies, a betta and some shrimp. Seems fine but from what I understand they get aggressive. Should I return it now or will he be ok? Opinions?

hmm, I would consider returning it in a tank that size. They do tend to get aggressive as they get older. You could try the wait and see approach and see how it goes, but I would take it back if the store will take it, and find some true SAEs.

Probably for the best. I'd hate to wait and see and have it go bad. Now all I have to do is catch him. :)

Took the Chinese Algae water back today. Was told it was Siamese, googled the pictures, finally agreed it wasn't, so I ended up with a couple of Otto's in exchange. Trying to put them in the bag one hung off the net so the girl physically pulled it off with her fingers. Needless to say it died within an hour of getting home. But the other is kicking and seemingly in love with my filter intake tube.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom