Green terror and jack dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garfy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I already have an african cichlid tank but I'm thinking about doing another tank.I really like the look of Gt's and JD'S.Im looking at a 150g tank.Can I keep these two fish together?

Finally you've come to your senses, yes you can keep them together in a 150g with tankmates to spare. There are so many great SA/CA fish who have persoanlity unlike their mindless cousins from the otherside of the pond, those 2 are very common but great additions none the less but wouldn't be my first choices since I've had so many over the years.

Last edited:
Haha don't get me wrong I love my Africans but I want both sides of the coin.I don't like Oscars they look ugly to me but I'm open to suggestions regarding stocking.Just like the look of GT'S and JD'S

I know your over seas and I'm not sure what's available locally or online, but I keep Cutteri, Festae, Sajica, Salvini, Firemouths, Trimacs and Honduran Red Points to name a few. I would also recommend Vieja Synspilum, Chocolates, and most Archocentrus and Cryptoheros genus fish to name a few but I could go on for hours!!!

There's an idea, I'm buying another aquarium in a week. 75 gal. I've been thinking ill try my hand at salt water. But sa or ca cichlids sound fun. but that tank is probably too small for most species right?

HUKIT said:
No way that tank is to small for New Worlds, there are hundreds of cichlids that can be kept long term in a 75g.

Awesome, ill look into that. There are a lot of beautiful salt water fish, but I've got cichlid fever. Ah, more research to be done. Would most of the species you mentioned earlier be comfortable in a 75?

Not to hijack Garfy's thread to much more but yes many of those especially Crytoheros and Archocentrus genus certainly can, as well as many Cichlasoma and Amphilopus classes.

Last edited:
garfy said:
Haha don't get me wrong I love my Africans but I want both sides of the coin.I don't like Oscars they look ugly to me but I'm open to suggestions regarding stocking.Just like the look of GT'S and JD'S

Garfy, time to dump the African tank and go all in!

GT's and JD's are awesome and would be a nice start to a 150g tank. Maybe a few mid-sized cichlids and some dither fish to complete the tank. I would just recommend staying away from tank mates that are too timid like severums. (But they are ugly anyway.)

+1 to the whole idea of SA/NW cichlids. There are so so so many to name. But all of them have so much more personality then their cousins from the cows head...

All though not my first choices here. They are both good looking fish. You really can't go wrong with the GT/JD combo to start off a tank that size. Fire mouths, convicts, silver dollars, a bichir, pssh... Maybe even a RTC for a year or two.

So many possibilities with a tank that size.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

5x5 said:
Garfy, time to dump the African tank and go all in!

GT's and JD's are awesome and would be a nice start to a 150g tank. Maybe a few mid-sized cichlids and some dither fish to complete the tank. I would just recommend staying away from tank mates that are too timid like severums. (But they are ugly anyway.)

You obviously have never seen gold or red severums! Of which I keep both.......with a Oscar and convicts and they are anything but timid and harrassed!

You obviously have never seen gold or red severums! Of which I keep both.......with a Oscar and convicts and they are anything but timid and harrassed!

They aren't complete pushovers, but I still wouldn't recommend Severums with JD's or GT's. I've had a few GT's and JD's and they all get nasty and seem to enjoy lip locking every chance they get. My 4" female GT is currently beating up 3 4" firemouths at the same time.

I would try Severums with Oscars/Convicts before JD's/GT's, but I imagine you would have mixed results depending on the temperment of all parties involved.

The only Severum that I think looks nice is the Rotkeil. With that said, Garfy may not even be interested in Severums, I've only seen JD's and GT's mentioned.

True and JDs are very aggressive as week as GTs I have a JD in my tank as well Nd he locks up with the Oscar often even though the Oscar is twice his size!

Although I only origionally posted about JD'S and GT's I am open to suggestions as to other CA/SA cichlids that will go well in this size tank.Any input is greatly appreciated.

It really depends on what kind of tank you want. You could have 2-3 larger very aggressive fish, or 6-8 med sized slightly less aggressive species.

Me personally I would like either RD, Jag, bichir.

Or a few mated pairs of cons/fire mouths, with a large school of silver dollars.

I wouldn't think so I considered one for my 125 and all websites said it was fine!

Back
Top Bottom