Green terror and jack dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've kept many Jags over the years(most were rescues) and they were all aggressive but tankmates will be fine when they are chosen wisely. In my opinion I would look for something uncommon, there are hundreds of options to choose from and fish like RD's, JD's, GT's are so common and boring. With options like Festae, Trimacs, and RTM's available there are so many better looking fish than the common drab found at Petsmart and such.

my favorite is the jack dempsey. mine had so much personality. i could hand feed it. it hated my cousin tho, it bit him and made him bleed lol. i highly reccomend a jd.

HUKIT said:
I've kept many Jags over the years(most were rescues) and they were all aggressive but tankmates will be fine when they are chosen wisely. In my opinion I would look for something uncommon, there are hundreds of options to choose from and fish like RD's, JD's, GT's are so common and boring. With options like Festae, Trimacs, and RTM's available there are so many better looking fish than the common drab found at Petsmart and such.

Excuse my ignorance but what are RTM'S?

That's one good looking fish is he yours?

No this is not mine, I'm currently focusing on my Festae in my large tank and my Trimacs among others in grow out tanks.

They are certainly one of the fish on my list of cichlids to keep, I've owned over close to 200 species of cichlids at one time or another.

The Caquetaia Umbriferus will also be very high on that list as well.

Attachments

• umb_male1.jpg
    umb_male1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 693
Last edited:
Nice looking fish too.
Really like the look of the RTM's though I'm not sure where I'd get hold of them.
Just done a little reading on them and by the looks of it I could keep one pair with maybe some silver dollars and tinfoil barbs.
Never seen any in a store over here though.Think I'll ask if I can order some in.

Nice looking fish too.
Really like the look of the RTM's though I'm not sure where I'd get hold of them.
Just done a little reading on them and by the looks of it I could keep one pair with maybe some silver dollars and tinfoil barbs.
Never seen any in a store over here though.Think I'll ask if I can order some in.

Yes they are not common, like I said in my earlier post I'm not sure what you can get a hold of over there.

+1 to HUKIT, he always knows the "purdy" species that I never think about.

I was naming stuff totally not thinking of the whole online ordering thing haha.

Yeah if you want some real monsters, umbee/dovii are the way to go. Might only be able to do a pair in the tank but boy are they fun at the PWC's lol.

And if not those two giants, I'm a huge fan of Trimacs as well, and that was a great pic of a RTM.

No this is not mine, I'm currently focusing on my Festae in my large tank and my Trimacs among others in grow out tanks.

They are certainly one of the fish on my list of cichlids to keep, I've owned over close to 200 species of cichlids at one time or another.

The Caquetaia Umbriferus will also be very high on that list as well.

Pretty sure that Umbri picture is from Jeff Rapps main page?

I remember seeing that picture (or something very similar) awhile back and was practically dialing the LFS for another tank.

Pretty sure that Umbri picture is from Jeff Rapps main page?

I remember seeing that picture (or something very similar) awhile back and was practically dialing the LFS for another tank.

Yes that's from Rapp's, it's one his wild caught he uses for breeding. When I get the 8-10ft tank they're first on my list.

Hello all! Brand new here and pretty new to the aquarium game also. I have a 30 gal tank with 4 dempsey's all smaller than 3". Also in the tank is a Dempsey around 4-5" and a med pleco. Is that way too much for the tank???

cbourg746 said:
Hello all! Brand new here and pretty new to the aquarium game also. I have a 30 gal tank with 4 dempsey's all smaller than 3". Also in the tank is a Dempsey around 4-5" and a med pleco. Is that way too much for the tank???

I would make your own thread so not to hijack. And I'm sure lots of people will be willing to answer your questions.

Ok so I've drawn up a short list of fish if like that is providing I can get hold of them.

Red tiger Motaguense

Herichthys Managuense

Herichthys Salvini

Herichthys Bifasciatus

Herichthys Urophthalmus

Herichthys. Dovii

I like the look of all these fish and welcome any advice on any of the above.

Ok so I've drawn up a short list of fish if like that is providing I can get hold of them.

Red tiger Motaguense

Herichthys Managuense

Herichthys Salvini

Herichthys Bifasciatus

Herichthys Urophthalmus

Herichthys. Dovii

I like the look of all these fish and welcome any advice on any of the above.

The species names are right, but you mistakingly assigned them to the same genus. Most of these fish do not share the same genus. You could enter the species name in google though and find the correct genus (as well as the common name).

For example:
Herichthys Managuense should really be Parachromis managuense (Jaguar)

This is a nice list of fish, just be aware that many on this less are on the very high side of the aggression spectrum. A few of which would require solitary confinement in a 150G tank.

If you can get them and keep them to adulthood - I think you'll have a fun time in the process.

5x5 said:
The species names are right, but you mistakingly assigned them to the same genus. Most of these fish do not share the same genus. You could enter the species name in google though and find the correct genus (as well as the common name).

For example:
Herichthys Managuense should really be Parachromis managuense (Jaguar)

This is a nice list of fish, just be aware that many on this less are on the very high side of the aggression spectrum. A few of which would require solitary confinement in a 150G tank.

If you can get them and keep them to adulthood - I think you'll have a fun time in the process.

So your saying that the genus has changed?
I got the names from a pretty old book.

Thanks for the help and to clarify I would not get all these fish but will choose from them and either have one small fish or even a solitary fish if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom