Green terror and jack dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so I've drawn up a short list of fish if like that is providing I can get hold of them.

Red tiger Motaguense

Herichthys Managuense

Herichthys Salvini

Herichthys Bifasciatus

Herichthys Urophthalmus

Herichthys. Dovii

I like the look of all these fish and welcome any advice on any of the above.

Red tiger Motaguense. These will be fine in a 150g.

Herichthys Managuense. These have been classified Parachromis, these will be fine as well.

Herichthys Salvini. These have been classified as Nandopsis and will be fine.

Herichthys Bifasciatus. These have been classifed Paratheraps and will be fine.

Herichthys Urophthalmus. These have been reclassifed in cichlasoma and commomly called false Red Terrors, Mayans would be fine.

Herichthys. Dovii. These are classified as Parachromis but they will NOT work in a 150g IMO.

This should help you research the fish better with the correct classifications.

5x5 said:
Yes, most of the genus have changed. how old is the book you used?

The book I'm using for reference is :

The most complete coloured lexicon of Cichlids

By Dr .Herbert Axelrod.
I believe 1993 was the first Edition

Aski247 said:
I like the idea of a breeding pair of either dovii or the RTM, that earlier posted pic has me rethinking of my current stock. =)

Tell me about it lol
I also very much like the look of the

Paratheraps Bifasciatus it's a stunning fish also .

HUKIT said:
Red tiger Motaguense. These will be fine in a 150g.

Herichthys Managuense. These have been classified Parachromis, these will be fine as well.

Herichthys Salvini. These have been classified as Nandopsis and will be fine.

Herichthys Bifasciatus. These have been classifed Paratheraps and will be fine.

Herichthys Urophthalmus. These have been reclassifed in cichlasoma and commomly called false Red Terrors, Mayans would be fine.

Herichthys. Dovii. These are classified as Parachromis but they will NOT work in a 150g IMO.

This should help you research the fish better with the correct classifications.

Thanks for that it helps a great deal

Lol think I'll double check each fish against google to eliminate any further confusion.
Thanks for the advice.

They need to stop bouncing all the fish in and out of classes, Festae have gone from Amphilophus to Cichlasoma and now to Ex-Cichlasoma waiting for new classification.

Just curious why we're talking about these larger species, as to why a pair of Dovii won't work? The footprint? I kept a pair in my 180 for almost 2 years.(not saying its right or wrong, I truthfully saw no harm as I never intended to keep for life)

Now I know they have potential for 20"+ my male only reached 15" female reached 11-12".

Also I never intended on keeping mine for a extended amount of years. But for 2 years it's a fun fish to keep, breed. I ended trading mine in to my lfs and started a school of red bellies.

Indeed.Any other Axelrod books you can recommend with the correct classifications in it?

I'd say the latest edition, but only for so long before that becomes outdated. Many classifications are still being changed, which is the nature of evolving science.

fishbase.org is a good online research.

Back
Top Bottom