Green water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackie443

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a recurring issue with green water. It comes back about 2-3 times in a year. The last time I was given interpets green away, this made the water clear and all was well for a while. It has since returned and I can't get rid. I've tried a few doses of this but the fish seem unhappy with this. It clears the tank for about 2 days then it returns. It's not an issue with lighting as I don't do anything different and have my lights on a timer. Can anyone help with this as I think this chemical is poisioning my fish. I'm thinking of a uv sterilizer but not sure what watt I would need or the best type. My tank is 180L. Thanks x Jackie

You either have too much light or dont do enough water change during routine maintenance.

A UV will clear water borne algae ok, I use a Vecton 300 on my 190L. The most important thin is not to exceed the suggested flow rate; think its around 960lph on the Vecton 300.

You don't mention any water tests or you water changing regime? I think you need to look at your nitrates/phosphates and if they are high you may need to regularly change as much as 50% I bring it down!

Do you have live plants? If not, leave the lights off unless you plan on viewing the tank or are having people over. The fish usually don't mind a darker tank. Ambient lighting suits most fish fine.

After a while with not much light, the algae will die back.

But first, do more water changes to reduce the nutrients the algae is using, like the others before me said.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. The tank was clear the thee day after I used the chemical, but started to green up again. I don't have a test for phosphates but I'm guessing it would be sky high. I am not going to put anymore chemicals int the tank, I'll try blacking it out for a couple of days and see if that works. I trimmed my plants back quite a bit about a few weeks ago, could this be the reason for the sudden phosphate hike because I have less plants to soak it up?..

Hi,

I decided to buy a uv sterilizer and so far I'm delighted with the results so far!!!! It's only been 3 days and my tank has gone from pea soup to almost clear. Thought I'd share my pictures. Wish I'd bought one sooner!

image-3464424035.jpg

Day 1 v day 3

Attachments

• image-1944960356.jpg
    image-1944960356.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 61
BIGBLOC454 said:
Do the UV Sterilizer lower your nitrates in your tank?

Hi,

I'm not sure about that, I don't think so. It irradiacates algae and can control other parasites. After a water change and 4 days of the sterilizer it's almost clear. Here's another picture taken today.

image-4011421990.jpg

Day 4

It will eradicate waterborne algae and waterborne pathogens, but won't affect many other algae/pathogens, and won't affect nitrates. If anything, it will increase your nitrate levels as a result of killing the free-floating algae (short term only).

My nitrates are in the danger zone on my 55gal gonna do a major water change to bring them down would that be a good thing to do

I wanna switch my filter over to a canister system like I have on my 75gal will that also put the nitrates in check ?

Hi,

How often do you do water changes and do you have plants? Plants absorb nitrates so good to have. Apart from plants regular water changes will bring them down. Are your other levels ok I.e ammonia and nitrites?

Jackie

Yes everything is ok it's just my nitrates and what type of plants to use and do I need to switch from gravel to sand

Your only answer here is doing water change.

We can only measure ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. There are actually thousands of other pollutants in a aquarium that comes from food and fish waste.
Think of nitrates as the measuring stick for the total amount of pollution in your tank.

If you use plants to reduce nitrates, then basically you dont know how bad your water really is. A well planted tank may show nitrates of 10, but the number could be way over 40 with time.

If you do your weekly water changes without plants and nitrates are stable, then it would ok to add plants for the fun of the hobby. Plants are good for taking out the pollution, but they do not mean you can do less water changes.

Yes I agree water changes will reduce nitrates. Sand or gravel won't make any difference to levels. However you should consider sand depending on what fish you have?

If I was to add plants to my tank what would you recommend to start off with and how many because I do love how they look

BIGBLOC454 said:
If I was to add plants to my tank what would you recommend to start off with and how many because I do love how they look

Hi, I know your plec would probably prefer sand as its softer on their belly. But it is an upheaval changing the substrate. I'm not a plant expert, I have only java fern and Anubis which actually grow onto a piece of bog wood so no planting in the substrate. I am going to change that soon though and try planting some in the substrate and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom