Greetings Fish Lovers!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoGoTimeMachine

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings all! I’m am brand new to AquariumAdvice.com but not to fish keeping. I caught the fish “bug” from my dad 42 years ago when he bought me my first aquarium—a 20gal community tank. Since then, I’ve pretty much stuck to freshwater fish with angelfish being my favorite. My lone walk on the wild side (aka marine aquaria) was keeping dwarf seahorses which I purchased by responding to an ad in Field and Stream magazine.

Currently I have 7 aquariums (75gal, 55gal, 40gal x2, 20gal x3) but only the 55gal is up and running. I’m in the process of building my fish room/man cave. Once done, I may look to add the mighty discus fish to my little watery kingdom.

Lastly, I’d like to share that I am a lover of aquarium DIY and am always looking to make my own stuff. Looking forward to diving in and getting involved!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The following link is about the "Ecology and life history of an Amazon floodplain cichlid: the discus fish Symphysodon (Perciformes: Cichlidae)". It's about 1/3 of the way down the page. This document is something every discus keeper should read and has some valuable information about their diet, which has been completely screwed up for the last 50 years by people like Jack Wattley (the famous discus breeder) and other discus breeders around the world. The fish are vegetarian and don't have intestinal issues when fed a plant based diet, but suffer from all sorts of internal problems when fed a meat based diet.

https://moam.info/the-discus-fish-symphysodon-scielo_59c411371723ddc7f4532afc.html

Back
Top Bottom