Grrr! Misbehaving Betta Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aysvin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yesterday I got a betta and two otto cats. I read from several sources and was told by the lfs employee that they should go well together. They were fine and just chilling around last nigh but this morning the betta was nipping at their tail fins. There's been no damage done so far that I can see but I'm not sure I like it very much.

Is this a sign that he'll become more aggressive? Should I replace him with something else? If so, what? Or is this just normal behavior and I'm worrying about it when I really shouldn't?

:(

I know bettas are used to being by themselves. What all do you have in the tank? Do you have plenty of hiding places for them?

Yeah. There's two caves plus 3 other structures and about 7 plants

Yeah. There's two caves plus 3 other structures and about 7 plants

I don't have the answer for the betta behavior, but i understand otos need to be kept in groups of four or more. And if the tank is not established (having a bbiofilm) then you need to drop in algae wafers for them.

I don't have the answer for the betta behavior, but i understand otos need to be kept in groups of four or more. And if the tank is not established (having a bbiofilm) then you need to drop in algae wafers for them.

I have the wafers and I've put a quarter of one in since they're about the size of a nickel. If they eat all of it I'll put in a bigger piece next time. I'll also put in a slice of blanched cucumber if I have one just to see what they like and don't like.

Honestly a lot depends on the temperament of the individual betta. Is the tank planted? Planting often helps but it's not a cure all. We have some betta's here and one can't even have cory's in with him. As already said if it continues I would move the oto's out.

Honestly a lot depends on the temperament of the individual betta. Is the tank planted? Planting often helps but it's not a cure all. We have some betta's here and one can't even have cory's in with him. As already said if it continues I would move the oto's out.

If it keeps going I'll return the betta. I love my little ottos too much. I'm not sure what to put in his place though or if I should try another betta. I'll give it a few days since it's Thursday and I have to go back to that store on Monday. If it gets bad I have a 1.5 tank I can put Mr. Betta in until then.

you could try putting him in "time out" and float him in his cup for a few days them release him back into the tank... It works with girls in betta sororitys so it could work here!

you could try putting him in "time out" and float him in his cup for a few days them release him back into the tank... It works with girls in betta sororitys so it could work here!

That may actually be a good idea. He needs to learn that when he sees my hand over the surface of the water it means food.

For whatever reason he likes to hand around the bottom of the tank so I have to wait for him to make a rare trip up to try and feed him. He tends to swim away when he sees me coming. Hopefully this will help train him that I mean food and that when I put him back in he'll be comfortable enough and will swim around the middle and top levels.

Back
Top Bottom