Hairy Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eparadis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my poor tank has some hairy algae in it. By some, I mean a lot. Forgive me if there has been a solution posted on here, but it is late and I need to go to bed.

So I think I have hairy algae. It is black though, and looks like strands of hair attached to everything. I trimmed back my plants that had it on there and tried to clean off some of the large rock formations to little avail.

55 gal tank, heated to a hair under 80 F. Small community fish, breeding swordtails, mollies, pleco, chinese algae eaters (that I got with hopes of them snacking on this stuff). Decent lighting (40 watt total I think), big Tetra filter with AC and heater attached.

Thanks for the help

I had some similar stuff. mine was kinda dark brown. I took as much of it off while I rearranged my plants. Then turned on a powerhead and held my net in front to catch it all until net was clear. Only seen traces of it since. Oh! and I also turned off the blue light I had on. went to the LFS and the suggested more plants to "battle it out" with the algae. he said eventually the plants will win.

So I think I have hairy algae. It is black though, and looks like strands of hair attached to everything.
I'm highly suspecting y'all have the dreaded Black Brush Algae. I've never had it (knock wood) but I hear SAEs are one of the only fish known to eat Black Brush Algae. (SAE= Siamese Algae Eater)

Here's a link to more info, apparently low nitrate/high posphate can lead to a BBA bloom.
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_algae.htm

My SAEs cleared it up in style. A couple days and it was gone. Chinese Algae Eaters will not eat it and tend to be agressive.

The other trick that works is to put fermented barley straw into your filter. As it decomposes, it releases a chemical that works. It's expensive (I spent $15 on a small box) but it also works in ponds. You can probably buy it cheaper somewhere besides a pet store, but I don't know where.

Third, make sure whatever fertilizer you use is phosphate free.

I've had experience with this stuff, and the only permanent cure are SAEs. They are kinda hard to find, but they are the king amoung freshwater fish if you have plants.

Are SAEs the same as siamese flying fox? I picked up one of those this weekend. Along with a Oto and some sorta clear shrimp.

Flying Fox's are in the same family as the SAE but aren't thought of as good as the SAE. These also tend to be very aggressive when they are full grown and don't eat red algae. SAE are a bit harder to find than the Fox's but they are definately worth it. I ordered some online yesterday from http://www.aquariumfish.net/ . Hopefully I will get them tomorrow.

If you want to read a little about algae prophylactics, go here: http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/algae.html

I've never had it (knock wood) but I hear SAEs are one of the only fish known to eat Black Brush Algae.

:evil: :evil: :evil: GRRRRRRR..... Every single time I say " I've never had that, it pops up in my tank!!! Sometimes I think I'm the king of jinxing myself!

Set up a new 20gallon 3 weeks ago, in the midst of a fishless cycle, BBA shows up last night!

Now I gotta catch some of my sae's outta the 90, let them get to work!

Chinese vs Siamese Algae Eaters

I could not find SAEs, and was desperate. When I asked my local store, they just said, Chinese, not Siamese, like they were the same. I think I need a new fish store.

Anyway, they CAE seem to be eating some of the now identified Black Brush Algae. They have cleared off one area and I hope are moving on to the next.

I pruned the plants that were really infested and did some manual pulling, but I am a bit too lazy to spend the hours needed to clear it completely by hand. Spent over an hour on one ornament. Ugh.

Saw the one post about ordering SAEs online. Is that safe? I have always wondered. I can move the CAEs to my small amphibian tank as it has a nice layer of green algae. Kinda swampy.

Thanks all!

:) :)

The siamese flying fox is the same thing as the SAE. Well, according to that link. And the picture matches as well. I finally got him to come out from under my driftwood when I put 3 cardinals in. Woohoo!

eparadis, if you don't mind coming across the bridge, look for Albany Aquarium. They've got SAEs there. They call them Siamese Flying Foxes.

A Siamese Flying fox is not the same as a Flying Fox. Check the article again. Your LFS will call it a SAE anyway if they ever get them. But I could not get them in any LFS in Chicagoland and had one of my friends at a LFS special order them. They are incredibly hard to breed, thus not easily available. And most LFS just go with whatever is at market that week.

Make sure what your LFS has the band goes to the fork of the tail and does not end at the tail and make sure the band is jagged not smooth. The flying fox also has two sets of barbels as opposed to one.

I have seen so many LFS mark flying foxes as SAEs. They are very different.

http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/cyprinid.html

Found this site on the SAEs. It has almost the same text as the other one. Of all the descriptions, mine looks most like the SAE. He has a single set of barbels, transparent fins and stripe extends onto his tail. Can't tell if the band is zig-zaggy since he's only about 1" long. Above all else I'm pretty confident that it's a SAE cuz the store I bought it from is actually on this site as one of the 2 known suppliers. :D Not too bad for not knowing what I bought , until a few days after I brought him home. I thought I was just buying a regular flying fox. 8)

Hi There--

Hoping I can shed SOME light on your algae problem.

Now I know I am not the first one to cure the prob, but I certainly(cross my fingers) solved it in my tank. I, too, had beard algae and was pretty freaked, but I read that a few things speed up the growth of such algae: moving around plants frequently, and some bacteria in regular tap water. Now I wasn't ready to invest in new gadgets(I already spent alot o money) and wasn't ready to add chemicals to the tanks, so I experimented by NOT doing a weekly water change(as NOT to disrupt the tank too much), but instead a change every 10 days. By doing so, I was hoping to prevent the algae from having anything to "feed" on if this makes any sense. Now I had the problem pretty bad. I ALSO reduced my light time from 10 hours a day to 8. I added just 1 SAE cause I hear they are pretty territorial - they are. After being patient(about a week), the beard algae was gone. Now, I am not saying this is the final way of curing it, but boy, I didn't have to spend lots o money or risk killing anything by adding chemicals which I ALWAYS dread.

You can try doing what you need for your tank. I just wanted to share what I did to solve it in my tank. By the way, I have a 75 gal planted. Water temp is steady 82, pH7.0, Carboplus CO2 fert, Duplarit balls(gravel substrate), 250watt fixture, daily drops of iron fert, community tank of livebearers, gouramis, etc., and have java fern, anubias, rosetta plants, TRYING to maintain Copperleaf plants, etc.

Boy have I learned by trial and error, but if I can do it and have a tank to be proud of, BELIEVE me, anyone can ;)

Peace,
Bondstreet NYC

I added just 1 SAE cause I hear they are pretty territorial - they are.

Not to argue with the rest of your post, but I have 9 SAEs in my 90, they cause no trouble with each other or the rest of the fish They are about 3 inches each now also.

Glad you got rid of the beard algae. I'll give your technique a shot on my 20, it is heavily infested with the bba now. :evil:

Back
Top Bottom