Happy new stocking thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read they need salt in the aquarium, not a lot, but are best kept with other live bearers whom also like salt. I would say the cardinal tetras.

Ok, so I'm thinkin of in this order

3 halfbeaks or 6 cardinals
4 pandas or kuhlis
8 rumynose tetras
1 zebra angelfish
2 German blue rams

Just for back and I furious. I brought in everything in and he said they don't take refunds on starter fish. I told him I already cycled my tank. He asked what else is in it. I said these are the first. He said then how did you cycle? I said using pure ammonia. He said then it isn't cycled.I went in to explain by it is and he said the only way to cycle is with zebra danios. Then I said ok, can you please test my water. He did, came back a minute later- your nitrites are off the charts, that's why you killed the fish. I said, can I please see? He said fine, an I look and he's using strips. I pull out my iPod and say ok, can you look at this picture of the test at my house? NO, your water isn't ready for fish, and that's why you killed them. He handed me a sheet about the nitrogen cycle. I read it and it says add some fish, run it for 2-3 weeks, add about 6 more fish, then you can add as many as you want. Then he said you really should have reasherch end so you Dindnt kill them... My dad lost it. He called him a jerk ad all. The girl at the counter sat there watching, and after said in sorry, he is a jerk sometimes. Then I got 5 dollers for the one live fish. As I'm leaving he said to her- don't put that one in the tank, he already basically killed him...

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately things like that happen all the time. I've had many run ins with uneducated fish shop staff. It's best to just take your business elsewhere IMO.

Only problem is that I have 100 dollers in gift cards there. I'm gonna go in next weekend when the owner who I like is there and talk to him. The man I talked to said no fish can live in that. I asked him to explain how zebra danios can survive a cycle when levels go off the charts. E said that they are much hardier than guppies. Testing him, I said alright can I but some zebra danios? No they will die. He says to let it sit or a few weeks, and lee him test again

I was telling my dad and he wanted to see it. I tested following the directions on the kit and same as before, all good.

Your nitrates in the picture are hight, but not cause of death high if you acclimated them right, the guy you talked to didn't have a clue what he was talking about. Do a water change and talk to the store owner and file a complaint. If you have $100+ in gift cards for that store I'm sure the owner would be more than apologetic about a couple $3 dollar fish. That's awful.

They were 20, but anyway. He sai it was the trites that caused it. He says it didn't cycle because that. I isnt have a source for the bacteria to feed off of.i told him that is what the ammonia is e said t is just a myth. And when he showed me a graph if the ammonia, trites, then trates all spiking, I said that that did happen. His blunt answer- no it didn't. That man treated me like I was buying a tiger oscer along with a 5 gallon tank with plans to set it up that night. Not like a person who spent five months researching and learning, and doin all I could to make sure the fish will be healthy

They were 20, but anyway. He sai it was the trites that caused it. He says it didn't cycle because that. I isnt have a source for the bacteria to feed off of.i told him that is what the ammonia is e said t is just a myth. And when he showed me a graph if the ammonia, trites, then trates all spiking, I said that that did happen. His blunt answer- no it didn't. That man treated me like I was buying a tiger oscer along with a 5 gallon tank with plans to set it up that night. Not like a person who spent five months researching and learning, and doin all I could to make sure the fish will be healthy

Haha like I said, the guy had no clue. So hold on, the place sold you how many guppys for $20? Or we're they 20 each? I must be lost

The nitrates were 20. The guppies were 5 dollers each. Another thing that bugged me was that te guy wouldn't listen. Every thing I said, he'd say--nope, that's not right

The nitrates were 20. The guppies were 5 dollers each. Another thing that bugged me was that te guy wouldn't listen. Every thing I said, he'd say--nope, that's not right

Ahhh okay I got it now, the picture makes it look redder than it was. Still $5 for a guppy is still pretty expensive, but anyway, everyone encounters people like this, I sure have. Just blow off some steam then talk to his superior, doesn't matter if ammonia comes from ammonia or from fish, it's still ammonia, and LFS worker should know that, sadly most LFS workers don't care or haven't been educated and in your case it seems as though you had a sales person who didn't know, and didn't care

He sai heed been in the business for 50 years. He looked like the grampa in duck dynasty. He suggested I let the tank sit for 2 weeks and then test it there, and see if it is good. What I'm thinking if doin is bringing in my kit to show him that it isn't my fault. Anyways, even if my trates are 40, isn't the tank cycled?

I'm actually thinkin about takin his advice and lettin it run for 2 weeks with adding nothing to show that either he is wrong or that I am listening. But should I dose ammonia?

I'm actually thinkin about takin his advice and lettin it run for 2 weeks with adding nothing to show that either he is wrong or that I am listening. But should I dose ammonia?

Yes or you'll lose your cycle. And BTW, if dosing ammonia is an improper way to cycle, 99.99% of the AA community, including me, are total nutcases. Lol. You all know I'm just joking around. Don't want to offend anyone.

No I agree 100%. The man was just not lost ing to me! He goes if it was cycled, your ammonia would some and fall, then nitrite, then nitrate. I go. It did, I was testing daily. He goes no it didn't. I mean I honestly don't know why he was that way. I'm gonna have a good talk with the owner and hopefully get my money back. By the thing I'm most confused with is the fact that my readings are 0 0 20 and his are 0 5 40. I mean just wierd. And the. I go to show the pic-- no I don't need to see it, to did it all wrong. I tho I be knew he was about to get proven wrong. By as for my cycle. I will dose my ammonia daily and report it here- do I dose to 4ppm? Or Mabye just 2. And hopefully from the 2 day span with somewhat fish didnt ruin the bb. But anyways, then I'll bring it in and have the OWNER, not mr. ""Nutcase"" test it.

Back
Top Bottom