Happy new stocking thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most people don't use ammonia (directly) to cycle tanks so it shouldn't be a surprise that a lot of people don't know how to do it that way.

Leaving a tank to run a few weeks with no ammonia source is a waste of time.

Most people don't use ammonia (directly) to cycle tanks so it shouldn't be a surprise that a lot of people don't know how to do it that way.

Agreed. But I told him that I used that and he said-- we don't recognize that as a cycle because the bb has nothing to feed off of- I go "fish produce waste which ends up being ammonia which the bb feeds off of, right? The ammonia I used is the same thing produced by the fish- he goes nope it's different.
He just didnt want to face the fact that he got corrected by a fourteen year old. Haha my dad just sold there as I explained to the man everything, and watched the guy continually yell at me and then calmly I would come back and counter what he said, and my dad, who knows 0 about fish, says what I said makes way more sense than what he dis

Ok, I'm trying to look back through this thread & few others on my cell. It's a pain in the behind! I will go through your cycling posts tomorrow when I get back on my computer BUT, here's a possible take on the situation.

I don't believe your tank was fully cycled in 20 or 22 days unless you started with a ton of cycled media. I didn't check your cycling thread yet though. What I suspect happened is your nitrites started to spike and you saw the purple increasing. Then it appeared 'blue'. Yet there was no big increase in nitrates, correct? What happened was your nitrites reached such a high level that the test could no longer accurately read it resulting a bluish result. You added fish and they started to succumb. You likely did some water changes. By the time the lfs tested the tankwater, they read 5ppm down from an undetermined sky high level.

I honestly think your tank likely has another 3+wks, give or take, before it's fully cycled. You are doing things correctly and I'm glad your taking your time doing your research!! :) Although I believe the lfs results were likely correct, it does NOT excuse the employees ill mannered and rude treatment of you. I am sorry this happened and about your fish. :(

Ok thanks for the sympathy:) so here's in short what happened. For about a week, I dosed 4 ppm of ammonia, and it finally went down and. Saw some trites, which were dark purple. The ammonia was steadily staying at .25 ppm. The nitrites fell to 0 ad the trates did spike. Ammonia finally fell to 0. Got the trates down and finally the numbers were ammonia 0
Nitrates 20
Nitrites 0

So to be sure(those were on Thursday) I dosed to 4 ppm and then in 24 hrs those were the readings. Did that again in Friday. So then after testing again the levels are all in tact! I may or may not have done this right, but the main thing that is bothering me right now is the lfs. Not the fact that I didn't get my 15 dollers back( though I am mad bout that) is that the man said that "we don't recognize that as a cycle". I am thinkin when I go there next I'm gonna bring a print out of AA'a guide to fishless cycle and let him have a read and tell me what is wrong with that. And if there's anything he has to say, I'm gonna ask him to join here and talk with the members experiance with that. I just don't get why he had to be like that with me

Good thing he didn't do that to me. I probably would have lost it and punched him in the gut. Yeah, I know, not worth it over a disagreement, but people like that bug the you know what about me. Made me mad just reading it!

Oh well.... Hope you get it figured out.

Good thing he didn't do that to me. I probably would have lost it and punched him in the gut. Yeah, I know, not worth it over a disagreement, but people like that bug the you know what about me. Made me mad just reading it!

Oh well.... Hope you get it figured out.

I was actually thinking about punching him,lol too many witnesses. But I forgot my testing tubberware In there and my dad went to get it. Came back five minuets later and said- I let that jerk have it- saying how I'm only 14 and trying to learn all I can and planning on spending alot of money on fish here, and that he's a jerk and all. Lol the lady working the register actually said that guy is always like that.

When you go to talk to the owner, you should print off some info on fishless cycling to hand him. Sorry it went so badly. :-/ what a jerk. You did right keeping your cool.

Lol actually just said this!

. I am thinkin when I go there next I'm gonna bring a print out of AA'a guide to fishless cycle and let him have a read and tell me what is wrong with that. And if there's anything he has to say, I'm gonna ask him to join here and talk with the members experiance with that. I just don't get why he had to be like that with me.

Gosh. I hope the owner understands what I'm saying. I mean, that guide makes perfect sense. Step 2 says "why fishless over traditional?"
I mean that in its self sold me in fish less cycling.

You could take stacks of stuff from several sources to prove how well known a method it is.

You asked about halfbeaks... Mine are the silver ones and are very community friendly. I have no experience with the Celebes halfbeaks. The silvers only get about 2-3 inches and have a very small bio load.

Good idea. I'll find Mabye 4 good articles, read em over and go in ther confidant, and ready to reach someone a lesson! As for the halfbeaks, in really liking them! The only concern I have is they are so slim that the anglefish may eat them? They would be added well before the angel, and the angel will be a baby, but still

Thank you! I've found about 1000 articles on fishless cycling! I'm gonna pick 5 and print em off, and also ind something in why NOT to do a fish in- the thing in really confused about is how he said not to add zebra danios after my dad asked if we should as em, because they can't survive theese levels. I go, well, in a fish in cycle don't they go through theese levels? He goes, yees but its different.

You obviously confused him with your knowledge and he got his back up, and had his little power trip. Sorry you ran into that jerk.

Lol and he recommended I let the fishes waste from 1 day cycle the tank for the next few weeks. I think not. I don't get why they say fishless isn't correct? I mean it is equal in terms of how it is carried out as fish in, but safer. I'm gonna show him this also

As for my final stock, if I ever get there lol, is gonna be
3 silver halfbeaks
1 blue zebra angel
2 German rams(not sure gold or blue yet)
8 rumynose tetras
4 panda Cory's.
now of course, yesterday I ventured off and say skunk loaches. I looked em up an think they work in my tank insteAd of Cory's, any thoughts? Of course, I'm gonna be wary of my cost as I've wasted 15 dollers. Hopefully I can get it back

Attachments

• image-1111173345.jpg
    image-1111173345.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 46
Looks good! Be careful and research your loaches. Some species are too nippy and hyper for angels to cope with.

Looks good! Be careful and research your loaches. Some species are too nippy and hyper for angels to cope with.

Will do! But other than that I'm set! So I am still plotting my return to the lfs. Boy it'll be interesting.....!

From what i found, the skunks are very fiesty! Not a chance I'm willing to take! So now its kuhlis or Cory's- open for debate

Will do! But other than that I'm set! So I am still plotting my return to the lfs. Boy it'll be interesting.....!

Have your dad videotape it for us then show us the video lol! I bet the look on the guys face would be hilarious! He can't deny anything now. Good for you, standing up to him. Maybe that shop would stop recommending zebra danios as the first cycling fish for new tanks( if they do). Good luck with your tank!

Back
Top Bottom