Heater question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So idk if the thermostat is off in my heater or what.. I turned both the heaters down a bit last night before I went to bed, checked the temp this morning and it was down to freaking 74!! I'm about to pull my freaking hair out!!

About 77/78. I'm about to take this darn thing back to Walmart and get a heater from LFS.

One other thing is heater often need a calibration period. They need to sit in the water for about an half hour before plugging them in. If you did this you may need to unplug them, let them adjust then plug them back in.

Both of these heaters are working, their warm to the touch when the light is on... But they obviously don't work for my tank. This is ridiculous. I hate having these temp fluctuations!!!

One other thing is heater often need a calibration period. They need to sit in the water for about an half hour before plugging them in. If you did this you may need to unplug them, let them adjust then plug them back in.

The paper that came with it didn't say anything about a calibration period.. But I'll give it a shot. How long should I unplug it for?

Is the tank on an outside wall?

I have them on the back glass of the tank. I have them near my filters, parallel to the intake. Should I have them positioned differently?

I have them on the back glass of the tank. I have them near my filters, parallel to the intake. Should I have them positioned differently?

What I meant is where in the house is the tank located? Is the wall it's against an outside wall?

What I meant is where in the house is the tank located? Is the wall it's against an outside wall?

Inside wall. We have Gas heat and I would say the tank is probably about 3 1/2 ft away from our heater...if that even matters.

Two things. If the heaters seem to be working I suggest looking into a new thermometer first. If calibration and new thermometer don't work then take what heaters you can back.

Two things. If the heaters seem to be working I suggest looking into a new thermometer first. If calibration and new thermometer don't work then take what heaters you can back.

I don't think I have the receipt from the one I got yesterday, but I can try and take it back anyway, I have the box. With the money I get back from it and I have a little store credit at LFS I could get one of their heaters.

Normally the temp does not drop below room temp especially by 4 degrees. I'm willing to bet that you may need a new thermometer.

Normally the temp does not drop below room temp especially by 4 degrees. I'm willing to bet that you may need a new thermometer.

About to go head out and buy one. Hope thats the problem!

Sounds like you are having a bad day.

Yeah not the greatest lol. The sad thing... While I'm trying the calibration for the heater.. I put in my preset heater for a 30g in, And it's slowly heating the 55... I've had it in for about 30 minutes and it's almost at 76 now, was at 74 before I put it in.

Back
Top Bottom