Help choosing a Cichlid?? Read so much online i'm dizzy and Confused.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Critterlvrok

Aquarium Advice Activist
Help choosing a Cichlid?? for 35g Hex Tank

Hello all, after a terrible heater malfunction in my 35 gal hex tank I am now left with a lightly planted tank and 3 cory's. :nono: I have almost NO experience with cichlids but am very, very interested in trying my hand with more of these guys. However, I know my limitations, which are many. I have well water with a steady PH of 7.6 and a small foot print in this tank which limits my options. I am currently mommy to 2 Bolivian Rams that I have had for almost 2 years. 2 Convicts that I have had approx 4 months (getting ready for their 2nd spawn). NOT in the same tanks (5 tanks running). :fish2:I have tried several times over the years to raise Angels with absoulutely NO LUCK. I also can not seem to raise the GBR's.

I am interested in the Kribs, Apistos, Keyholes and Shellies but I do not know if any of these will work. I prefer not to have to start messing with PH ect. I would like to find something that is small, and can be happy in my tank. If I could find an option that will just be two fish then that would be great. Can anyone provide me with a few suggestions?

Appreciate any info! Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd say it's too much height for Shellies, wasted tank space.

Keyholes (and many on this forum already know this) are my FAVORITE cichlid, absolutely love these guys! I'd say a pair or two would do well, and a school of tetras. I love my pair, so active and inquisitive, totally worth hunting 8 months to find them (they for whatever reason are not common anymore here in Michigan). You could probably do a pair, and a pair of apistos, depending on the species. Cacatuoides seems to be the most peaceful from my experience.

As for kribs, they are baby factories, much like convicts. Many stores won't take them as trade ins due to over abundance. I prefer the south American dwarves over the west African though, so it's obvious that I'll recommend the Keyholes (although not technically dwarves) over kribs. Keyholes are also much more peaceful than kribs, especially when it comes to spawning

Appistogramma are fantastically interesting little fish, though a pair might be to small for your tank unless you add some Tetra in as well, Festivum or Cupid Cichlids are a good sized fish for that tank and are pretty hardy.

I have to say kribs are awesome fish to have! I have a breeding pair for two year. Very easy to care for. Great parents and just all around good fish to own. and once you get them paired they are very easy to care for.(y)

Back
Top Bottom