Help. I have no idea what type of Mbunas these are

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WendiDell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 very different Mbunas and no idea what they are.
One is almost all black with a very dark blue shimmer that only shows when the light hits it the right way and it has light blue fins.
The other one is a golden brown with dark brown stripes.
I've been trying to figure them out on my own:banghead:, no such luck.
Any Idea's are appreciated.

Attachments

• 5_12_2011 Charlize (2).JPG
    5_12_2011 Charlize (2).JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 131
WendiDell said:
I have 2 very different Mbunas and no idea what they are.
One is almost all black with a very dark blue shimmer that only shows when the light hits it the right way and it has light blue fins.
The other one is a golden brown with dark brown stripes.
I've been trying to figure them out on my own:banghead:, no such luck.
Any Idea's are appreciated.

The dark one looks like a blue trewavasse (?) and the other one I'm not familiar with.

The dark one is a Pseudotropheus sp. acei 'Msuli' (white tail acei).

The other one appears to be a female of some dimorphic zebra (metriaclima/maylandia) species. The females of the zebra species in my avatar look similar to that.

kay-bee19 said:

The other one appears to be a female of some dimorphic zebra (metriaclima/maylandia) species. The females of the zebra species in my avatar look similar to that.

Do you have a link, because in my encyclopedia there is the blue acei, the itunji one (black) and the msuli is blue, is there a black msuli??
Not in my book but maybe you have a link for me!
Thank you in advance,

:thanks:, I looked up the Acei white tail and it's identical (y). I read about them too, they seem like they will be a nice addition to my tank. They were so tiny, and quick, when I bought them 2 months ago that I couldn't get anything but a black blur when I took their pics. Now that they are a bit bigger they are just beautiful. They spend most of their time swimming with my Electric Yellow Labs, and another one that I have now clue what it is. She's shaped like the labs but she is solid white, but not an albino.
Oh well, three down :dance: two more to go :confused:. The Golden brown Mbuna has been a real tough one to ID. I hope I have better luck with the one that looks like a lab except solid white.
As soon as I get a good picture of her I'll post it. I have some already but Daisey always goes transparent in pictures it's a bit of a pain.

Just for the heck of it I googled White lab and sure enough there was a picture of Daisey. She looked like the Yellow labs in shape and the angle of her face. But I didn't know that there were White labs. Now I do, s that only leaves the Golden brown one in the bottom photo to ID and I'll be finished. All my Mbunas finally will be identified.
Thank you all for your help. Everyone on AA is great

Back
Top Bottom