Help me again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely think It was the water change that stressed them out the other night cos we were trying out a python for the first time
I know people rave about how great they are but we found using it more hassle! Kept pulling of the mixer tap and lead needed to be longer. So water was going in in stops and starts! Hope you feeling better x

Sent from my SM-G800F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You'll get the hang of it and change your tune - can't master everything the first time ;-)

You'll get the hang of it and change your tune - can't master everything the first time ;-)

Why did yours keep tugging of the tap too? Think it's cos the length isn't long enough so we're gonna try adding some extra tubing

Ok heat treatment it is, it's all scary and yet very interesting reading all the threads. Anyhow here's my next prob..........We obviously need to increase oxygen, right. So if my tank has a separate sump beneath it,with pump in its end chamber I am limited as to the amount of water I can remove otherwise my water pump will no longer be submerged. Therefore I could prob only take about a basins worth of water out to create oxygen. That's not gonna be enough surely? Could be days before I could get a chance to get an air stone. Any solutions to create more oxygen another way? Or should I postpone heat treatment til we get airstone in a few days?

I ended up buying a metal adaptor to keep mine from being pulled off. I bought an aqueon water changes and it has a cheap connector that wore out. Not familiar with the python.

Why did yours keep tugging of the tap too? Think it's cos the length isn't long enough so we're gonna try adding some extra tubing

The hose certainly has to be long enough :) But as was mentioned, buying a metal adaptor piece to replace the plastic is big. Fix those two issues and you'll be in love.

Ok here's an update. .....started to increase water temp slowly, fish coping ok. Parameters still around the same. Can't really see the white spots anymore. So I'm assuming that ich can't just disappear so quickly? Il continue with the 2 week water treatment but there's a possibility I was wrong and it wasnt ich will the water treatment for 2 weeks harm the fish? Although I Def didn't imagine a couple of white spots!

Ok here's an update. .....started to increase water temp slowly, fish coping ok. Parameters still around the same. Can't really see the white spots anymore. So I'm assuming that ich can't just disappear so quickly? Il continue with the 2 week water treatment but there's a possibility I was wrong and it wasnt ich will the water treatment for 2 weeks harm the fish? Although I Def didn't imagine a couple of white spots!

No, it won't harm anything. Thats why the heat treatment is soo popular.

Out of interest where were the white spots? Were they like white salt grains sprinkled over the fish. If ich, where they were may now have a small wound or loss of a scale.

They weren't on the body there a couple tiny spots on 3 of the fishes top fins

Don't notice any damage. ....

Around the base of the fin where it meets the body or further along?

Just checked them again this morning and I can't see anything. The pinprick white spots I seen a few days ago were in the centre-ish of the wee small top fin at the top of their body. Why what you thinking? Not ich or visually cleared up quickly?

Just checked them again this morning and I can't see anything. The pinprick white spots I seen a few days ago were in the centre-ish of the wee small top fin at the top of their body. Why what you thinking? Not ich or visually cleared up quickly?

Sounds like ich.

It they get a white spot (like a pimple) coming back in the same spot, base of tail / base of top fin or mouth than I have seen a bacterial infection do this.

But does sound like ick. I've had ich go through a tank and not infect some schools, including scaleless so it can sometimes be a minor infection.

As I said, in my experience the fish will fight ich succesfully most of the time and it will disappear by itself. It is probably what is happening to you now. And from it's life cycle, it is certainly still present in your tank. Chances are it won't infect any new fish and disappear, but you don't know that for sure. So it is a good thing to do this harmless treatment and make sure it really disappears.

In the last 2 days I raised the temperature in my tank to 86, and added 1tsp of salt per gallon. If this is really enough to kills ich, as most articles claim, I only need to keep this up for 6 days and it will all be gone.

Yes, the heat really is enough to kill ich all on it's own. Salt or no salt, doesn't matter. Because plants and fish can be quite sensitive to salt, seems unnecessary. The parasites themselves as well as the heat both cause stress to the fish. Why pile on more stress by adding salt? That's how I look at it. No doubt many fish have been cured from the heat and salt combo. And many have been cured without the use of salt.

No doubt many fish have been cured from the heat and salt combo. And many have been cured without the use of salt.

The treatments for ich don't cure fish. In the stage when it is attached to a fish, ich can't be killed, you just need to wait until it detach itself after a few days. Ich can only be killed in it's free swimming stage. That is why the treatment must be maintained long enough for every ich parasite to complete it's cycle until it gets to the free swimming stage and die.

The treatments for ich don't cure fish. In the stage when it is attached to a fish, ich can't be killed, you just need to wait until it detach itself after a few days. Ich can only be killed in it's free swimming stage. That is why the treatment must be maintained long enough for every ich parasite to complete it's cycle until it gets to the free swimming stage and die.

Insomuch as the fish and tank are rid of the parasite, they are cured.

I agree with maintaining the treatment. I don't think 6 days is long enough to ensure the eradication of the parasite. 2 weeks is the standard length of treatment. In my experience it can take up to a week for all the spots to disappear.

Thanks even though spots have disappeared I'll stick with 2 week heat treatment to definitely kill it off properly. However does it usually lie dormant and therefore after the 2 weeks should I be on the look out for it returning?

No, if the treatment is administered properly it will not return until you reintroduce it by not quarantining fish or plants.

Only the free-swimming life stages are susceptible to medications. Only the actively feeding trophont can persist "dormant" in the aquarium, though it's never free-living but always attached inconspicuously to a host, perhaps on a gill surface.

Only the free-swimming life stages are susceptible to medications. Only the actively feeding trophont can persist "dormant" in the aquarium, though it's never free-living but always attached inconspicuously to a host, perhaps on a gill surface.

I don't know what you are cutting and pasting, nor why....

It's good to include a link or some other kind of reference so others can see what it is you are drawing from, and so that it doesn't appear like you're plagiarizing.

Back
Top Bottom