Help me again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Theres just a mincing of words that isnt connecting here. "Curing" fish in this instance refers to removing the parasite from the tank. Treatments Cure Fish in this case.

Ich doesn't lie dormant per say. It does have a time period where it drops off the fish and breeds, but this is why the treatment gets extended for 2 weeks. After that, the ich should be gone from your tank.

When researching ich, just be sure you're reading freshwater artucles. The saltwater version of ich can go 3 months without hatching.

I am quoting from this article :
Ich | The Skeptical Aquarist
to answer nataliedd's question about However does it usually lie dormant...

You should read the whole article....

"There is no "dormant" independent, long-term encysted life stage separate from a host fish for Ichthyophthirius multifiliis."

An excerpt from the article you are referencing. What you have previously quoted does not support your claim, but quite the opposite. Or have I misunderstood you?

No, if the treatment is administered properly it will not return until you reintroduce it by not quarantining fish or plants.

I don't have quarantine tank so does that mean it's likely most of my new fish get ich when they move to their new home?

Sent from my SM-G800F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you don't have a quarantine tank then I wouldn't worry about it until you see spots. Or you could periodically administer a heat treatment. But I would not administer a treatment every time you add new fish, unless it's something you do periodically.

It would be best to get yourself a quarantine setup though. It really is important for long term success.

What you have previously quoted does not support your claim, but quite the opposite. Or have I misunderstood you?

At this point I am not sure about what you are saying that I am saying... so yeah we probably misunderstood each other!

Back
Top Bottom