Help me help the betta!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am at a relatives house for a day and am helping with their betta in a bowl. The poor thing has no fins left pretty much and a half fueled bowl- plus the stones in it fill up the other half
I have no supplies but paper towels and a chlorine removing brita filter
Cam anyone help me figure out how to clean up the poor things bowl?
I know I'll probably remove some of the gravel, refill the bowl with brita water, then do a 100% water change and scrub the bowl
I'll make sure to keep the gravel in tank water

If it has no fins left at all, euthanasia might be the best option.

If there is some fin left and the fish is still able to move around, most likely you will need to not only correct the water quality issues, but also treat the tank with antibiotics. For the fish to actually recover, water quality going forward would be the most important thing... if they aren't committed to performing regular water changes or providing a more healthy environment than a bowl, it might be a losing battle.

fort384 said:
If it has no fins left at all, euthanasia might be the best option.

If there is some fin left and the fish is still able to move around, most likely you will need to not only correct the water quality issues, but also treat the tank with antibiotics. For the fish to actually recover, water quality going forward would be the most important thing... if they aren't committed to performing regular water changes or providing a more healthy environment than a bowl, it might be a losing battle.

1- She is still pretty active
2- I dont have anything on hand to treat with
However, I was offered the betta to keep! So I might take it home and buy a little 5 gal tank for it

That would be the best option, if you can take it home, great!

You will most likely need to get some antibiotics to treat ASAP. Finrot is not easy to cure, especially if it is advanced. Clean water will be the most important thing though.

fort384 said:
That would be the best option, if you can take it home, great!

You will most likely need to get some antibiotics to treat ASAP. Finrot is not easy to cure, especially if it is advanced. Clean water will be the most important thing though.

On the way home I'm pretty sure we pass my LFS and I can probably get a discount on it from them if I promise them a few nice guppy fry
They sell 10 gal kits for 15.95 or so including filter so that will work perfectly
If I take it home I'll start it on Macaryn and once a day pwcs
Should I leave it bare bottom until she heals?

Steelhawke said:
Give that *man a red cape, good job trying to save someone else fish bro....you make me proud to be a fan of this site.

*woman
Thanks
I really hope I end up taking it home

Mmmm use soms melifix it really works oh and u might need to clean the bowl every three days and get some of that gravel out and make sure the filter is working and keep him in a warm temperature so it heelps him oh and u might need to buy him some blood worm so he grows an appetite.
Thats all i can say wright know i hope u do well :)

emerald76 said:
1- She is still pretty active
2- I dont have anything on hand to treat with
However, I was offered the betta to keep! So I might take it home and buy a little 5 gal tank for it

U said she right she could go kn ir comminity tank cause females are peaceful but i would pit it in a hospital tank before adding her to the main tank

Mckitrick said:
U said she right she could go kn ir comminity tank cause females are peaceful but i would pit it in a hospital tank before adding her to the main tank

I don't have room in my community
I'd buy her a 10 gal tank

I love melafix. However, I have recently learned it can cause a bad reaction in bettas. The tea tree oil is not good for their labyrinth organ.

Do they have white edges?

+1 on the clean water. I have a baby BN and he was really bad. In 2 weeks he is about 50% regrown. I used melafix the first week. Great progress both weeks.

Some good tank mates are.
glass catfish are great betta mates wont nip : there scavangers
ghost shrimp are good aswell.
snail. Your betta wont even know there there.

Basically anything that doesnt nip fins or have colorfull fins and are agressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
em352 said:
Some good tank mates are.
• glass catfish are great betta mates wont nip : there scavangers
• ghost shrimp are good aswell.
• snail. Your betta wont even know there there.

Basically anything that doesnt nip fins or have colorfull fins and are agressive.

If I take it home I'll only be able to get a 10 gal at the max so catfish are out
I might get RCS and some snails with a bunch of plants in a bare bottom for now but I'll test the betta with ghosts first
It would just be a bare tank with some silk plants until the betta heals

Okay so your betta doesnt kill whats in the tank your suppoused to put all the other fish in there then
The betta fish

em352 said:
Okay so your betta doesnt kill whats in the tank your suppoused to put all the other fish in there then
The betta fish

I know that but if I take it home I won't torture it in a bowl any longer- I'll give it its own cycled, filtered tank
My tank stays at 75 with the heater off so do I need one for this tank? Both tanks would be the same volume

Yes you dont need a heater.
But bettas usually do fine at 78+ and up.
So if the 75 goes down alot you will have to get a heater.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom