help me stock up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickstanley995

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everybody, I've been having trouble figuring out what to do with my 10 gallon fish tank. I want to get a Dwarf Gourami, some sort of tetra school, and was thinking a bottom feeder. Now I have had people at different LFS in my town tell me that i could have those fish, and others say that it is overstocked. So confused and even more lost i went on the internet and had no more luck then at the LFS in my city. :confused: Well looking on the web I found this forum, so I joined up hoping for help. So please anyone with advice or better suggestions of fish to keep give me a message back. I for sure want a dwarf Gourami as my "centerpiece fish". Thanks please get back ASAP (y):thanks:

dwarf Gourami in a 10 gal is fine as long as you keep up with water changes.

Sparkling gouramis would be a better option. Ember tetras would be a great schooling option.

Sparkling Gouramis are smaller, a bit hardier, and generally more peaceful

What If I got 1 dwarf gourami, 4-5 ember tetras, and then 3 corys? I do t really like the look of the sparkling gourami. How is that stock? If overstocked maybe someone could tweak it for me pleasr

Well it becomes overstocked really easily especially in a small tank like a 10g. Most bottom feeders have a heavy bio load. I won't tell you much about the corys they aren't a favorite of mine so I don't know much them Other than I have heard the like a larger schoal of I think the number was 5-6. Tetras like a school of at least 7 more is alway better to keep them happy and healthy!

How about shrimp for bottom feeders? I have four in my 10g and they do a great job.

I thought about shrimp but dont know enough about them. Is there a freshwater shrimp ir do they cope well in salt or fresh water. At my LFS I looked at them but they are in the saltwater section. So does that mean that my LFS doesnt sell the type of shrimp id need or are they a "hybrid" to both waters

there are freshwater and saltwater shrimps experienced with freshwater shrimps for 5 years bred and sold them to local pet stores with the help of my parents i would go with either amano or cherry shrimp because they are hardier, less expensive, for beginners who are knew to shrimp keeping and the cherries breed like crazy. only problem is they might hide more because of the fish or even get eaten especially the babies.

no the cherries will not they are not aggressive at all but watch out for ghost shrimp if you decide to get those. they tend to eat fish sometimes but the tetras will might, just might pick on the shrimps. i usually go with 10 or more but u can get 5 at least. thats my opinion if you want to breed them.

dont forget to get a bunch of java moss if you want them to breed the babies will live and eat of the algae and particles in the moss. that also will help them escape from the fish

It'd do a honey gourami instead of a dwarf gourami, 5-6 chili or ember tetras. Or 5-6 galaxy rasboras. I'd just do a few amano shrimp as bottom feeders. Cories would overstock you:

Thanks for the help everybody! Glad I joined this forum! My tank just finished its cycle yesterday so tomorrow or thirsday ill probably go get fish. Should I get the school first? Just to mature the tank before I put in a gourami or bottom dwellers?

Thanks for the help everybody! Glad I joined this forum! My tank just finished its cycle yesterday so tomorrow or thirsday ill probably go get fish. Should I get the school first? Just to mature the tank before I put in a gourami or bottom dwellers?

If you fishless cycled it, you can put everything in at once.

Back
Top Bottom