Help with silent cycling- no numbers are changing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kherm89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

I'm setting up my first tank. I've done a tonne of research to make sure I do it right, but I'm stuck.

I have a 29 gallon and I set it up 5 days ago. I have Seachem flourite and Caribsea Super Naturals sand on top. I planted an anubius, some hornwort (which made a disaster of the tank from the needles), some wisteria, two java fern, and two crypts. I've been adding Seachem Flourish, Excel, and Iron as directed as leaving the lights on for 12 hours. Temperature 80-85 degrees. I also used a water conditioner when I first put the water in. Using API mater test kit.

These are my readings:

Day 1
Hign end pH 8
Ammonia .5
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

Day 3 (was away for New Years)
Hign end pH 8.4
Ammonia .25
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

Tested the tap water here to see if that contributed to the ammonia readings and I got pH 7.4, Nitrite and Nitrate 0, and Ammonia .25-.5.

Day 4
*Morning reading*
Hign end pH 8.2
Ammonia .25
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

Added fish food for a source of ammonia since there hasn't been any progress.

*Night Reading
Hign end pH 8.4
Ammonia .25
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

Day 5 (today)
Hign end pH 7.4
Ammonia .25
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

Nothing is changing. I don't know if this would be normal for a tank with this set up, or if something is missing from it. I also didn't wash the plants off very well from the store on purpose because I have nothing to seed my tank. Does the fish food need a few days to provide ammonia? Is it not sufficient? Is it done cycling? What am I missing?! Lol

Any suggestions or opinions? Thanks!

(I can not get my picture to upload properly sorry!)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 73
I would give it more time. The fish food has to breakdown.
Also check your 2nd bottle of mixture for the Nitrate test. I once had the same scenario and come to find out the crystals in the 2nd bottle were not mixing up.
Shake and smack it on your palm aggressively a few times to make sure those crystals mix up good.
Good luck and be patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For what it's worth, my ammonia has never been lower than .25 and I've never had any problems with the tank. Your parameters seem okay, and the plants may have done the trick to cycle the tank. I always cycle about two weeks any way just to be on the safe side. The PH looks like it's coming down nicely. I'd say your well on your way.

What kind of fish are you going to add?

BTW, it looks lovely.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, my ammonia has never been lower than .25 and I've never had any problems with the tank. Your parameters seem okay, and the plants may have done the trick to cycle the tank. I always cycle about two weeks any way just to be on the safe side. The PH looks like it's coming down nicely. I'd say your well on your way.

What kind of fish are you going to add?

BTW, it looks lovely.

Thanks! :)

Ya I'm going to wait a few days and then see if anything changes. I checked the wisteria today and roots are growing off them like crazy and the other plants have shoots as well... the hornwort not so much, I'll probably take it out. Planning on adding a piece of driftwood and little hiding place of some kind for ADFs.

I'm thinking so far I'll probably get 3 African Dwarf Frogs, 1 Ghost shrimp, some kind of small schooling fish (haven't decided but leaning towards amber tetras) and then one or two bigger fish. I don't want to make it too busy for the frogs but also would like to have something on each level. My options are somewhat limited since I have the frogs so that will help me narrow it down. Suggestions welcome! :)

I would give it more time. The fish food has to breakdown.
Also check your 2nd bottle of mixture for the Nitrate test. I once had the same scenario and come to find out the crystals in the 2nd bottle were not mixing up.
Shake and smack it on your palm aggressively a few times to make sure those crystals mix up good.
Good luck and be patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh good idea. I'll gave it an extra good shake today. Readings about the same. I'll give it some more time and see if anything happens. I'm going to look into how to get the ammonia readings from my tap water to go away because I read somewhere it can read as ammonia but it's actually something different. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom