Help with tank cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacie3972

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I think I'm in the nitrite cycle of my tank my ammonia has finally settled down but now all the other numbers are way high
Ph - 7.4
Ammonia-0.25
Nitrite-2.0
Nitrate-40
I did a 50% pwc waited 4 hours tested again and then a 75% pwc now waiting to test again any idea why my NO2 skyrocketed like that and what I can do for this. Thanks all.

Are you doing a fish less cycle? Sometimes durung cycles your nitrate just does that from what I understand. Was your ammonia/nitrite very high? This could have helped it.

No doing fish in cycle. And ammonia and nitrate was fine yesterday.

Stacie3972 said:
Haven't done that I know the ammonia out of the tap is at 1.0

Water should fluctuate that much. I think if it was high you would have noticed it by now but who knows.

What's your stock? From those readings I would say that you are almost done with cycle but if you are using an API master cycle the nitrate test has a very exact process that needs to followed. If not it can give you false readings.

2 blood parrots 1 golden severum 1 chocolate cichlid 5 gromies a puffer fish and a pleco

Stacie3972 said:
50 gallon tank

Towards the end of my fish IN cycle, my nitrates would not go much below 40 & I thought it'd stay that way but now 4 months later I have maybe 5. I think it's just part of the cycling process, ammonia spikes, then nitrites spike & then nitrates spike. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

There is not much you can do, as change water. It takes a little bit longer for the cycle is complete. And keep a eye one your fish. I use the API test kit. I did 30% water change twice a day in the morning and before I went to bed. Depending how my fish or doing in the tank. And I test the water at the end off the day before I did the second water change. Now if after 8 weeks still not to 0.0.0.0 than you might want to take a look at your gravel. Sometimes there is to much waste. In your gravel. What effect your reading. If you have gravel. What I did was putting the fish in a bucket and start moving the gravel in the tank so my filter could filter the heavy dirt out. Let it sink and did that a couple off times. Did after that 30% water change and tested the water again. I was surprised it dropped not all the way. But enough to make it save for the fish. And the other time It had to do with my filter. The filter system did not work proper or wasn't enough to keep up. So I bought a new one. I hope this will help

So do I need to worry about it. Lost a golbys today but I'm almost positive the puffer killed it

A add. After that I rinsed my filter slightly to get the heavy dirt out. Because of the bacteria. You want to keep that after 3 day everything was back to normal :)

I had a puffer. That I brought back to wall markt. Did not know it was poisen. It killed my jack dempsey. Do you have gravel. Sinds how long do you have the tank. Did you rinsed your gravel after you see that there is a brownish collar on your glass that you can see on the tank glass. Your puffer fish could be the problem to because they can be pretty agressive. Some times out of site. When you doint pay attention. And it's a bracket fish more a salt water fish. But how is your water quality.

If you have sand, my question is do you stir you sand once while, and turn off your filter while you do that, if not could be a problem. And your puffer could be the problem to, but you talked about your water quality.

I vac once a week :) I know the puffer is a problem. I bought him not knowing anything about them just what the) lfs said and we'll they lied just to sell a fish. And now I'm stuck with him

Back
Top Bottom