Here we go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tum ti tum, ammo down from 4ppm to 1ppm in about 24 hours. Still no nitrites, wondering if Europe has sold all our nitrate to bail out the banks. Definitely none round here !

Mumma.of.two said:
Place a piece of lettuce in the tank, leave it over night, in the morning there should be snails on it. Take it out, put it in a bag and freeze it. Much better than getting a fish to do it.

Oops forget the lettuce. Will try and remember tonight !!

Tum ti tum, ammo down from 4ppm to 1ppm in about 24 hours. Still no nitrates, wondering if Europe has sold all our nitrate to bail out the banks. Definitely none round here !

NitrIte or nitrAte? You probably won't get nitrate until the nitrites start showing. Nitrites are what you want to see next. Once ammonia drops consistently every day then nitrites follow. Ammonia dropping is a very good sign! I'd dose it back up to 4 if you haven't already.

librarygirl said:
NitrIte or nitrAte? You probably won't get nitrate until the nitrites start showing. Nitrites are what you want to see next. Once ammonia drops consistently every day then nitrites follow. Ammonia dropping is a very good sign! I'd dose it back up to 4 if you haven't already.

Yep nitrites, my mistake...

pleechford said:
Looks great!! What type of sand did you use??

From the LFS, was told it is basic aquarium sand!

I'm probably not the norm here but when I discovered snails in my tank I was happy and enjoyed watching them while I waited for the tank to cycle. Also, mine didn't eat my plants but the algae on my plants. They did multiply, but since I added fish I hardly see any snails. I also added an assassin snail. But I never see him either. I have no evidence, but I think the plants and snails helped the tank cycle.
Cheers!

Rendao said:
From the LFS, was told it is basic aquarium sand!

Okay great! I am adding addition to my aquarium family and I would like to use sand this time but I am not sure what type of sand to use. People say use pool filter sand but I do not want to mess something up :p

pleechford said:
Okay great! I am adding addition to my aquarium family and I would like to use sand this time but I am not sure what type of sand to use. People say use pool filter sand but I do not want to mess something up :p

Sorry I am no expert by any means I just went to my LFS and asked for advice!

pleechford said:

Oh no pfs is fine! Way cheaper and works, provided that you wash it well!!

Gboy66 said:
Oh no pfs is fine! Way cheaper and works, provided that you wash it well!!

Okay sweet! Is pfs a orange color sand or is it really light? I want to go for the really light color look.

pleechford said:
Okay sweet! Is pfs a orange color sand or is it really light? I want to go for the really light color look.

A far as i know its just regular white..

Washing the sand was key for me. Washed it about ten times, whole afternoon of a job, but worth it in the end.

Rendao said:
Washing the sand was key for me. Washed it about ten times, whole afternoon of a job, but worth it in the end.

That's what I hear. I'm trying to figure out the best protocol for washing sand.

pleechford said:
That's what I hear. I'm trying to figure out the best protocol for washing sand.

I found if you put your sand in a large bucket, then add lots of water. Get your hand in and swish it about, like you are looking for something in the sand. Then pour away the top water, without loosing the sand and then repeat about six times. When you put the sand in the aquarium it will still go cloudy/silty, but should clear nicely in a couple of days. Worked for me....

Rendao said:
I found if you put your sand in a large bucket, then add lots of water. Get your hand in and swish it about, like you are looking for something in the sand. Then pour away the top water, without loosing the sand and then repeat about six times. When you put the sand in the aquarium it will still go cloudy/silty, but should clear nicely in a couple of days. Worked for me....

Sounds like a plan to me! Thanks for the advice

Test results from tonight

Ammo 4ppm
Nitrite 0
pH 7.6
Temp 83f

Fish seem so far off.....

Wondering what fish to go for. Thinking seven cherry barbs and seven pearl danios. A zebra catfish would be nice too! Once settled down would then like to complete things with two pairs of dwarf gourami. Does that seem ok for a 33 gallon tank?

Back
Top Bottom