High Ammonia Level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ldyco

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Finally got my Master Test Kit and got these results: 7.4ppm with the high PH test, 4.0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite and 0ppm nitrate. Did a 25% water change and a few hours later tested ammonia again was down to almost 2.0ppm the color was a bit in between 4.0 and 2.0.

Did a quick search here and found so many different answers to high ammonia I'm a bit confused.

The tank is new with a fish-in cycle approximately 4 weeks old. I have been doing weekly water changes and vacuuming the gravel at the same time. The tank is stocked with one very large 4" comet, and three smaller goldfish a black moor, another comet and a shubunkin.

The water in the tank is a bit on the cloudy side. I have an established smaller tank that I have used some of the bio from the filter for this tank.

Would appreciate any advice on getting the ammonia level down. I do know that goldfish are very "dirty" which is why I vacuum when I do the water changes.

Many thanks in advance!

One thing that will cause tons of problems later is you are seriously overstocked. Goldfish get BIG that's why many are kept in large 75+ gallon tanks or in ponds.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425161512.535095.jpg

This is a pic from www.AqAdvisor.com it is a stocking generator. Granted the filtration capacity is not always so accurate but when it is that low it is problematic. I used a canister rated for 100 gallons as the filtration and still got that number.

Even after cycling you're going to have ammonia problems if you don't take back some fish. They seem small now but they will get anywhere from 8-12 inches in the future.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks for the reminder I'll read it again. :)

Have a look at this chart

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html

Match your ammonia level to the ph and temp of your tank. If your in the yellow your fish are in danger of ammonia burns to their gills. If you're in the red your fish are currently suffering. You will need to do multiple 50% water changes. I would look at reducing the bioload if it were me.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the advice! I have found a home for the largest comet in a friends pond but I'm waiting for warmer weather. I am in western NC and it has been very cold. I'm afraid if I move him now he would not survive the transition. As I sit here looking at the aquarium maybe once the weather warms I will send all the goldfish to the pond. The Black Moor and Shubunkin are fancy goldfish would they do in a pond?

Thanks for the advice! I have found a home for the largest comet in a friends pond but I'm waiting for warmer weather. I am in western NC and it has been very cold. I'm afraid if I move him now he would not survive the transition. As I sit here looking at the aquarium maybe once the weather warms I will send all the goldfish to the pond. The Black Moor and Shubunkin are fancy goldfish would they do in a pond?

I've seen about all goldfish in ponds. They are adaptable.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thank you. Have just removed the thermometer from my tropical tank to check the 55 gal tanks temp so I can retest and use the charts. I realize I need to reduce the bioload but with the temps so cold here I am afraid to move the fish to a pond.

Just did a reading using the chart and I'm in the caution area. My largest comet does not like the thermometer and keeps "pecking" at it clicking it against the side of the tank. He is quite a character!

Just did a reading using the chart and I'm in the caution area. My largest comet does not like the thermometer and keeps "pecking" at it clicking it against the side of the tank. He is quite a character!

From your first post, your tank is not cycled yet. If you get rid of all but one, you should be okay. My tank took 3 months at 68 deg. You might see a dip in pH in the cycling because of the effect of the bacterial action and the ammonia. Once cycled the pH should stabilize. Frequent testing and PWC's will be needed.

Kevin

Def eventually get the comets in the pond. You could leave the fancies in the tank. But moors do better with other types of fancies. Shubunkins can be a bit more like commons in their feeding style quicker out compete moors and can nip at there flowing tails. You could put shubunkin in pond. Then get black moor a friend and keep two in the 55gallon tank. Fancies don't get as big. But even still you might want to upgrade to bigger later on from the 55gal. Basically more swimming space better all round

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

Back
Top Bottom