Hind Sight is 20/20 Water Quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonata

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am cycling my 50 gallon. It has been stored away for some time. I should have cleaned the algae off the glass before dismantling it. Hind sight is 20/20.
I scraped it yesterday.
I didn't get all the algae, but the little I got clouded the water. Almost made it green.
What do I do ?
I can do as many water changes as I like with no fish in it.
What would you suggest ?

My tank has been cycling for 2 days now.
I've heard this process may take anywhere from 1 to 8 weeks.
How do I test ? On a daily basis ? Once a week ?
Do I concentrate on ammonia levels above all else ?

I am still cycling my tank. There are no fish or live plants. Ammonia levels are almost 0, so I should be stocking soon.
Should I have the light on for a few hours per day to build up some algae for my algae eaters ?

Post all the levels. What type of fish are you putting in? Have you been dosing ammonia during the cycle?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

corries
swords
neons
dwarf gouramais
guppies
mollies
shrimp
I have not dosed with ammonia, but one member suggested doing water changes & adding Prime. I'm doing that.

I agree, empty it out 100%. I would bleach it to kill any algae spores. 1/4 cup bleach for 10 gal water. let it sit for an hour. Dump it. rinse it, refill, add dechlorinator.

If you haven't added any source of ammonia the tank is not cycling. Do you have pure ammonia? Search fishless cycle.

I did search the fishless cycle.
In every case, adding a few flakes of ground up fish food flakes, every other day, was seen as another viable way to cycle a tank.
I haven't started that yet, but I may try.

Read more on cycling, its a pretty important thing to understand fully. Food alone isn't a great answer, ammonia is more consistent. I know you are old school (cycling is something you do on a bike, right?), but even if you can begin the cycle it will help greatly with when fish are added.

Unless you introduce a source of ammonia, the cycle will have nothing to feed on (won't start). Plenty of articles here to read: Articles to Help you Get Started with your Aquarium
If you are concerned about algae, throw a few towels over the tank and leave the lights off. The black out should suppress any algae growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The fish can be the Ammonia in this case.

Old school worked in many cases. I am not implying, @ all, that what you are saying is wrong. Great advances have been made in the hobby since I began, but we still managed to have beautiful aquariums. Maybe there were causalities. I don't remember. Now I read, add zebra danios. Since they are speedy surface swimmers, they can tolerate low levels of ammonia & naturally supply what the tank needs. Why can't there be more than one way ? All of these things have worked, just as ammonia has.
Cycling / riding a bike ? Just a joke from an old man. :)

You could add zebra danios to cycle the tank. I was not sure if you were doing a fish-in or fish-less cycle from the early posts. If you decide not to keep them (have them in there only for cycling the tank) you will have fun trying to catch them.
Just keep up with the water changes and testing and it should be fine.

Thanks

You could add zebra danios to cycle the tank. I was not sure if you were doing a fish-in or fish-less cycle from the early posts. If you decide not to keep them (have them in there only for cycling the tank) you will have fun trying to catch them.
Just keep up with the water changes and testing and it should be fine.

I'm doing a fishless cycle. My ammonia levels are low & I heard the danios were an option.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

I'm doing a fishless cycle. My ammonia levels are low & I heard the danios were an option.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

I missed that. I'm sorry. You will have to add some source of Ammonia in a fishless cycle. I use plain clear household ammonia all the time despite the nay sayers. It is cheap and easy to get. Just stay away from the lemon one and don't add too much. Get a ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates test kit or strips if you can. Just put just a tiny trace. Just barley detectable.

Back
Top Bottom