How many African for a 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blaze phaze

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55g tank and want to change my setup for an african cichlid tank.. how many fish can I put in the tank for them to be comfortable?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Depends which specific fish you are talking about. Do you have anything in specific you are looking at?

Ya I was looking at the rubescens, the saulosi and the afra cobue

Peacocks generally need a 75 or larger for a group, and don't mix well with most mbuna other than Labidochromis species. You could keep saulosi and afra in a 55 though. Groups of 6-8 of each species with plenty of rocks for cover.

And what about the latifasciata? Will it be ok to mix it with the afra and the saulosi?

Anyone else having to look up the scientific name to know what fish is being asked about lol. Ciclids need easier names

Latifasciata aren't as aggressive as saulosi, more like the afra as far as disposition. They might work out, colors and patterns are different enough anyway.

Ok thank you. And how many should i put? I dont want the tank to be over crowded

You actually do want the tank to be crowded, that helps keep down aggression. Large frequent partial water changes and heavy filtration to maintain water quality. Stock 6-8 of each species and see how they work out over time.

6-8 of each wich means 18 to 24? Isnt that alot of fishes for a 55g tank.. I was thinking a male of each with 2 females each witch would make 9 total. Thats not enough?

6-8 of each wich means 18 to 24? Isnt that alot of fishes for a 55g tank.. I was thinking a male of each with 2 females each witch would make 9 total. Thats not enough? Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think 9 could work. I usually keep 12-15 in a 55g. Even with that many you still need to keep an eye out for a trouble maker.

Ok thanks.

Better with 3 females than 2, and most African cichlid broods are male-heavy. Unless you vent them it's almost impossible to sex juvies. Crowding isn't a problem if you keep up with water changes.

Better with 3 females than 2, and most African cichlid broods are male-heavy. Unless you vent them it's almost impossible to sex juvies. Crowding isn't a problem if you keep up with water changes.

100% on the water change on any tank but especially overstocked!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have 16 various cichlids in a 55gal , sized down from 30 fish. It has been a month since I downsized, It is true that a trouble maker or 2 will show up and show out. I isolated one of them in a pet carrier inside the tank and the other aggressor still tries to attack , of course to no avail. It gives a new meaning to beating one's head up against the wall.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom