How many Angels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 36 gal planted aquarium is looking fantastic! I changed out driftwood bought at LFS for some manzanita, put in a UV light and things are crystal clear. My question is: how many Angels would you put in a community tank like this? I currently have : 2 Rasboras, 3 Cardinal Tetras, 2 Endlers, 2 Platys, 2 red finned fish that I inherited and don't know what they are, 2 Coreys (one is teeny tiny) and 1 Albino Pleco. So total of 14 fish, but all very small.

Suggestions from anyone regarding the Angels? I know that they can get fairly large; should I count them as 5 fish each regarding stocking limitations?
Thanks for your help-D

Everything I have seen on here tells me that 2 would be the absolute max in an aquarium that size. And, yes, if you configure their adult size, 5-6 inches if going by the inch per gallon theory. It really all depends on how big they are and whether or not you plan to upgrade to a bigger tank, as well, over time. But, yes, no more than two max would be my *somewhat* educated guess.

Everything I have seen on here tells me that 2 would be the absolute max in an aquarium that size. And, yes, if you configure their adult size, 5-6 inches if going by the inch per gallon theory. It really all depends on how big they are and whether or not you plan to upgrade to a bigger tank, as well, over time. But, yes, no more than two max would be my *somewhat* educated guess.

I am going to get a couple of juveniles that are pretty small, but as badly as I want more, I thought that I should probably stop there. I think I could add some more Rasboras or Tetras though? All of my other fish are going to stay pretty small except maybe the Albino Pleco. I took him out of an African Cichlid tank of my BF's to keep him from being picked on.

Yes, a lot of what I have seen on here about rasboras and tetras is to get them in bigger groups. The aqadvisor website would be a great resource for you for stocking schools of fish like that and for making sure you don't get overstocked. Corys, as well, like to be in bigger groups.
Good luck!

Albino plecos (bristlenose) gets 5 inches. You don't have to worry about the cichlids. Plecos have rock hard armor and are MORE than a match for Africans.

Anyway, I would bump up all ur schools to the recommended size and get ONE angelfish. Once you bump up your schools you'll be getting close to stocked.

Albino plecos (bristlenose) gets 5 inches. You don't have to worry about the cichlids. Plecos have rock hard armor and are MORE than a match for Africans.

Anyway, I would bump up all ur schools to the recommended size and get ONE angelfish. Once you bump up your schools you'll be getting close to stocked.

my brother has a 56 gallon with African cichlids and he put in a albino bristolenose Pleco and the ate it's eyes and ripped up all it's fins and killed it

my brother has a 56 gallon with African cichlids and he put in a albino bristolenose Pleco and the ate it's eyes and ripped up all it's fins and killed it

Hmm. Mine could hold its own with a cichlid. It would wait on a roof of a rock and when a fish swam under him he would ambush.

Of course he also grew up with a freshwater stingray.

Back
Top Bottom