How many cichlids can i have??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lafeet85

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, I have an 80 liter aquarium and was wanting to put some Malawi cichlids in it. What would be a suitable amount in that tank??? Thanks.

80l is too small for malawi's IMO.They need at least 55 gal and a 4 foot tank.
You could try looking at tanganyikan shell dwellers.They would probably be ok in an 80l tank.

Well, I talked to a guy at the fish store and he said that I could comfortably keep three in there. So I'm just checking.

The guy at the fish store just wants to sell fish.If you google several different kinds of Malawi cichlids many sites will tell you the recommended tank size for each fish.You need to have the right sized tank for the adult size of the fish.I'm only trying to help for the health and hapiness of the fish :)

Lol "the guy at the fish store told me..." that's the start of many people posting on here after they have had some type of tank disaster.

From my tanks I have 20 mix African cichlids in a 90gal if u fish will be happy if u take good care of them I think u could put 3 to five in there and they will be fine if u want to know ways dat u can keep them happy hit me up I'll help u out

From my tanks I have 20 mix African cichlids in a 90gal if u fish will be happy if u take good care of them I think u could put 3 to five in there and they will be fine if u want to know ways dat u can keep them happy hit me up I'll help u out

80L is alot different than 90 gallons. 80 liters works out to only be about 20 gallons...

I generally dont recommend anything smaller than a 30 gallon for cichlids at work.. and thats just for like a pair of electric yellows/ blues, or maybe some acei if you are lucky.

Generally, with cichlids... bigger tanks are definitely better. But thats just my op. The only cichlids I have are angels/rams etc.

You'd probably be be better of doing apistos, rams, kirbs, etc, if your heart is set on cichlids. You get the personality and color of cichlids... But generally not as high of a level of aggression.

Talvari said:
80L is alot different than 90 gallons. 80 liters works out to only be about 20 gallons...

I generally dont recommend anything smaller than a 30 gallon for cichlids at work.. and thats just for like a pair of electric yellows/ blues, or maybe some acei if you are lucky.

Generally, with cichlids... bigger tanks are definitely better. But thats just my op. The only cichlids I have are angels/rams etc.

You'd probably be be better of doing apistos, rams, kirbs, etc, if your heart is set on cichlids. You get the personality and color of cichlids... But generally not as high of a level of aggression.

Yea it is a smaller tank but fish if feed good and if u keep feeder fish with them it will keep there mined off of chasing and hurting each other it gives them something to do in da wild these fish always chasing something a 20gal ain't dat small u can keep a few in there it won't hurt them if u take da rite care go look at da pics of my Oscars tank it a 75gal with 5 different size oscars and a 1 jack Dempsey they don't mess with each other at all cuz I keep them feed good and they always got something to mess with got check out dem pics

please do you research before you give other the wrong advice. 5 oscars DO NOT belong in a 75 gallon. do you know how big oscars get? do you really think that five 15 inch fish are going to all fit in a 75 gallon? that leaves them no room to even move around. you will end up with dead fish before you know it. please, do your research there are many knowledgeable people on this site that will help you get on track with your tanks.

Now for the question, malawis do best in bigger tanks like a 75 gallon, i would suggest maybe some smaller cichlids like kribs, rams, apistos or shell dwellers. they would all do well in a 20 gallon tank. you COULD keep maybe one yellow lab or something but that doesnt really sound like much of an exciting tank to me. and they do better in groups anyway :)

a.tetreault said:
please do you research before you give other the wrong advice. 5 oscars DO NOT belong in a 75 gallon. do you know how big oscars get? do you really think that five 15 inch fish are going to all fit in a 75 gallon? that leaves them no room to even move around. you will end up with dead fish before you know it. please, do your research there are many knowledgeable people on this site that will help you get on track with your tanks.

Now for the question, malawis do best in bigger tanks like a 75 gallon, i would suggest maybe some smaller cichlids like kribs, rams, apistos or shell dwellers. they would all do well in a 20 gallon tank. you COULD keep maybe one yellow lab or something but that doesnt really sound like much of an exciting tank to me. and they do better in groups anyway :)

+ 1000 5 oscars in a tank like that borders on cruelty.

Look I know eat u need to know my fish do fine in there y'all go off way y'all told by someone it my boy got four big oscars in a 55gal he been haveing them in there for 7 or 8 years not one problem dat all I need to know I can care less wat u think I'm here just to check it out fish will be fine if there or taken care of rite

I'm not upset I'm just saying wat is true fish will be be ok if they or taking care of rite my friend dat I get everything from has 8 tanks and been doing it a min so I think I can beleav him

garfy said:
IMO you shouldn't be representing fish keepers.Sorry if that upsets you but your advice is terrible!!!!!!

I totally agree. Not to be mean but im just saying. We are here to help, there are many knowledgeable people on this site. There is a difference in you making something work for a while and good advice. 20 gallons is much different than 75. Mbuna need space to swim side to side. You also have to deal with their bioload.

If you try to put more than 1 mbuna in that tank, by the time its full grown you will only have one left. Stick with rams, apistos, kribs. Maybe a pair and and a school of corries. Im working on setting up a 29gal with a pair of one of the above, along with a school of tetras and corries

Just because you can put 5 oscars in a 75 doesn't mean you should.Your friend has steered you in the wrong direction IMO

+1... Thats like trying to keep a St Bernard in a closet its entire life.

A true hobbyist does whats best for the fish in its tank. That requires time, effort, and research. ONE oscars requires a 75 gallon tank. My uncle usually suggest and additional 20 gallons for each additional oscar. They need space to swim, their own territories, etc. Just because your friend does something and it works does not, in any way shape or form, mean that what he is doing is the right or best way.

At any rate.. I definitely think you'll have better luck, OP, with the dwarf cichlids, plus some corys or some schooling fish.

My rams are in with cardinal and glowlight tetra. Add in some nice live plants and the tank really looks stunning.

Jeffjr said:
I'm not upset I'm just saying wat is true fish will be be ok if they or taking care of rite my friend dat I get everything from has 8 tanks and been doing it a min so I think I can beleav him

dude my friend taught me all about oscars too & he was completely wrong about everything.. EVEN THOUGH he had a healthy 'looking' 55 w/ an oscar, 3 jack demps, pleco, pacu & catfish - none were fully grown & all eventually started to get sick.. they were also almost lifeless in such a cramped tank

not trying to be a jerk, but everyones right .. i was defensive like you when i first joined but you'll learn quickly that the people giving you the info here are very knowledgable & are only looking out for your fish .. they all may not have great people skills but they're just giving you FACTS

& the fact is, your boy is wrong lol just like mine was

Reactions: HN1
Well, I talked to a guy at the fish store and he said that I could comfortably keep three in there...

If these "malawi's" are Lake Malawi Mbuna species then there are some factors that must be considered because these are territorial and aggressive fish:

Small aquariums (less than 48"/1.2m in length) can amplify mbuna aggression. A dominant mbuna can easily claim an entire 20gal tank as it's exclusive territory. Tank mates in such a tank are either constantly harassed, pertually take refuge in the upper corners of the tank or are..eliminated.

Small numbers amplify aggression. Mbuna's are social-aggressive fish. They do best in good numbers and these numbers protect them from being 'singled out'. A fish that is is singled out can be eliminated by the aggressives.

A small aquarium with a trio of mbuna's has both of these factors going against it.

With that said small juvenile mbuna's may co-exist for a while. But when aggression ramps up, expect difficulties. The temperments of maturing mbuna's can literally change over night.

Back
Top Bottom