How many cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on species, but roughly 20 to 25 would be ideal for a tank of that size.

Malawi MaD said:
Depends on species, but roughly 20 to 25 would be ideal for a tank of that size.

Yes I would say 17 to 22 and to balance out aggression.

Lombardoi (Kenyi) can be quite aggressive species as well as the maingano but if it was me id up the numbers of all the species you have. Jewels require a different tank set-up as well as water parameters but many people do keep them with malawi's so if you want to keep them thats up to you :). 3 to 6 of each species would be good, consisting of 1 to3males and the rest females. Apart from the Lombardoi and maningano id personally only have 1 male in a tank of your size.

Hope this helps.

My female kenyi is the most aggressive one .. But has claimed down since I added 4 new ones... I tried to vent them n I'm only for sure that 2 are females the others are hard to tell... My maingano one is the most laid back one and is female ... Is there somewhere I can buy n only get females? When I got the 4 new ones petsmart wouldnt vent them for me so I had to try when I got home

And the jewels were supposed to be peacocks that's what the tank said but I was told on here that they were jewels now peacocks

If you have 12-15 in a 60G you would have to choose your species very wisely or you going to have aggression issues. If there is plenty of filtration n regular maintenance with the right species then 20 to 25 will be fine. The lower end of the scale will be more ideal though.

Could try buying online?

I plan to but a aqua75 I have one in my Sw tank and I love it compared to my top fin 20&30.. On liveaquaria.com I haven't seen where you could pick male or female

You also have to take into account how much water is displaced by the rocks and substrate. There is no way after you put in rock work that 20-25 3-6" fish are going to fit in a 60 gallon. I was planning 15-18 for a 90 gallon of that gives u perspective.

I know I'll need to buy more hiding spots for the bigger tank... Would about 15 be ok for a 60g

J19Reynolds said:
I know I'll need to buy more hiding spots for the bigger tank... Would about 15 be ok for a 60g

Depending on the adult size of the fish yes aim for 12-15. That is a much more realistic number, you'll have to really be on top of water changes though and have the total volume of your tank turn over 8-10 times per hour.

Mogurako said:
Depending on the adult size of the fish yes aim for 12-15. That is a much more realistic number, you'll have to really be on top of water changes though and have the total volume of your tank turn over 8-10 times per hour.

What do u mean total volume of my tank turned over 8-10 times per hour?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom