How many more shrimp can i get??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I have a 10 gallon tropical community tank with
2 bloodfin tetras
5 neon tetras
And apple snail
And 3 cherry shrimp

I LOVE cherry shrimp and I was wondering how many more(if any) I can add to my tank. I would love to start a good colony of shrimp!

Dwarf shrimp don't really contribute to the bioload in any significant way unless you have massive numbers in there, so you'd be fine putting another dozen or two in there. However the more that are in there the more likely they could be eaten by the fish in the tank. I've never kept them with tetras, and judging on their size, they are probably fine, but they may still peck them to death if they get the urge, so it's something to keep an eye on. I've had very limited success with most fish species and dwarf shrimp in the long term.

At least 300. I got a colony of RCS going in my 30 gallon with neon tetras, dwarf rainbowfish, glofish, and albino cory cats. I still see new baby shrimps all the time. None of those fish are interested in the RCS, even the smallest babies except for the cories but that's because they're practically blind and run into them by accident, but they're so comfortable with it now that they don't even jump out of the way (they just shuffle and do little side steps) unless the cories bump into them repeatedly.

I've seen 40 - 50 thriving red crystal shrimps thriving (and they're nowhere near as hardy as RCS ) in a tiny little 1 gallon breeder box before, with a lot of room to spare. LOL. I've also seen 80 shrimps in a half gallon bag being sold at a fish store (obviously temporary), and half of the content were anacharis.

Ya I dont think the foot print of a ten gallon could hold 300 shrimp..

Haha well you obviously dont want 300 more, so just maybe add 7-12 more

You'd be very surprised. One little 6" strand of anacharis alone can comfortably hold 30 adult sized RCS.

Imagine if this guy actually had plants like cabomba, hornworts or anacharis. :lol::blink:

P7179008.JPG

50 shrimp in a 1 gallon breeder box is not the same as 50 shrimp in a 1 gallon tank.
Just like with many LFS, they are on a central system so water quality stays stable since there's a constant flow of water, so the only issue you deal with is actual space they take up.

I bag small angelfish in 4-6 oz of water for shipping and they are just fine, but it doesn't mean that they could thrive in ounces of water indefinitely.

Tell that to my friend who's had to redo his 30 gallon hi light, high tech tank because of RCS overpopulation. When he tore it down there were over a thousand, there weren't enough micro organisms for them so they started eating the edge of the plants and were preventing new growth. He ended up selling them a hundred at a time online. Breeding shrimp are thriving shrimp. If space was the only consideration, you can fit at least 12,000 in a 10 gallon. For each gallon of water you have, 30 dwarf shrimp can easily be thriving and breeding in it, that's why I sai AT LEAST 300 in a 10 gallon, I didn't pull that number out of thin air.

Note to O.P: Once you get over the threshold of around 50, you better start selling them or you will have a pest problem. :D

attachment.php

skw2oi.jpg

I'll probably only put an extra 10-15 because I don't like the over populated look, even if it is possible.

Tell that to my friend who's had to redo his 30 gallon hi light, high tech tank because of RCS overpopulation. When he tore it down there were over a thousand, there weren't enough micro organisms for them so they started eating the edge of the plants and were preventing new growth. He ended up selling them a hundred at a time online. Breeding shrimp are thriving shrimp. If space was the only consideration, you can fit at least 12,000 in a 10 gallon. For each gallon of water you have, 30 dwarf shrimp can easily be thriving and breeding in it, that's why I sai AT LEAST 300 in a 10 gallon, I didn't pull that number out of thin air.

Note to O.P: Once you get over the threshold of around 50, you better start selling them or you will have a pest problem. :D

attachment.php

skw2oi.jpg

i wish i had your tank my lionfish would believe he died and went to heaven :p

I keep 100 ghost shrimp in a 5 gallon tank. I would like to point out that they are only in the 5 gallon for 2 months to get fattened up before being transferred to my tanks as food. Even with a 100 in a 5 gallon tank I never had any problem with nitrates. There is a colony growing in my 75 gallon sump tank (about 50gallons since the water level is low :p).

Can RCS be kept with community fish? Im thinking Danios, tetras, cories and kuhlis. Maybe a cpo or 2.

GodFan said:
Can RCS be kept with community fish? Im thinking Danios, tetras, cories and kuhlis. Maybe a cpo or 2.

They would probably get eaten.

Oh... I was thinking like zebra danios and gold ringed danios... oh well....

You could try it with some ghost shrimp. It sounds mean but they are cheap, so if they do get eaten, its no much of a loss on your wallet.

Back
Top Bottom