How to cycle a tank quickly? Please Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had bought tanks before which had established filter media but I bought a new tank and want to cycle the tank and want it to cycle very quick. I don't have any established media now so I have to start from scratch.

Can anyone please tell me is there any product available in market that can cycle a tank instantly within very few days. I see some products like Seachem stability and used it before after a water change but don't know if it can help in cycling that fast as I expect. Please let me know if there is some product or something that can help the tank to fast very quickly.

Thanks.

I have used Stability , but I also used cycled media with it so I can't say it made the tank cycle any faster . Ask your local LFS or some fellow hobbyists nearby for some cycled media , but I am sure you already know that . If you have a lot of live plants and a light bio load you will be ok till the cycle gets going .

Are you wanting to perform the tank cycle with fish in the tank or fishless? In order to cycle the tank you will need some source of ammonia.

Hello k...

With nothing from an established tank to instantly cycle the new tank, the easiest method is to introduce three to four small, hardy fish for every 10 gallons of tank water. Feed the fish a little every day or two to establish a steady source of ammonia and simply change 25 percent of the water every three to four days for a month. No water testing is necessary. Then, after a month, change half the water weekly for the life of the tank. That's it.

B

Quickest way I can think of would be dose ammonia and then source any established media (shop may give some gravel or online) plus try bottled bacteria (mainly needing the nitrifying bacteria) - I’d try several bottles. Be a bit unstable but faster. Keep ph above 7 and water temp tropical.

I have used Stability , but I also used cycled media with it so I can't say it made the tank cycle any faster . Ask your local LFS or some fellow hobbyists nearby for some cycled media , but I am sure you already know that . If you have a lot of live plants and a light bio load you will be ok till the cycle gets going .
Are you wanting to perform the tank cycle with fish in the tank or fishless? In order to cycle the tank you will need some source of ammonia.
Hello k...

With nothing from an established tank to instantly cycle the new tank, the easiest method is to introduce three to four small, hardy fish for every 10 gallons of tank water. Feed the fish a little every day or two to establish a steady source of ammonia and simply change 25 percent of the water every three to four days for a month. No water testing is necessary. Then, after a month, change half the water weekly for the life of the tank. That's it.

B
Quickest way I can think of would be dose ammonia and then source any established media (shop may give some gravel or online) plus try bottled bacteria (mainly needing the nitrifying bacteria) - I’d try several bottles. Be a bit unstable but faster. Keep ph above 7 and water temp tropical.

Thank you everyone. I spoke with the fish store. They ll give me the sponge from an already established tank. I also have the Seachem stability so can you guys please tell me step by step what I need to do by using both stability and existing bb media from already disease free established tank sponge? I can't get ammonia as a chemical. I wanted to do a fishless cycle but if I have to then what kind of fish shall I put which don't die. Really never want a fish to die just for the sake of cycling.*

I am very confused about testing and how to make sure that the tank is already cycled? Videos about cycling are not made according to standards of a layman. They start the video by saying that LFS guides you wrong and here's how you need to cycle your tank but then they just start the same kind of explanation in difficult terms. I even had a hard time knowing what is BB when I entered the hobby and everyone was just using this short term BB for beneficial bacteria.

I really need a step by step guide from A to Z. I ll be housing expensive fish and don't want to ruin things. Mainly my concern is when to check for the no2, no3 and ammonia levels and how will I know that my tank is now cycled and safe for the fish.

Also I will order the API freshwater test kit but I read that the "Nitrates" test is very difficult to read when its on the lower side. Is it true? Did you guys have troubles interpreting the Nitrate results from this kit?

I don't know what to say. Glad I was not eating something while reading this. Lol. That guy confess of pissing inside the canister filter even when her wife wasn't around.
Thanks a lot. One question please. I will get a filter media with bb from the store and if I do a fishless cycle do I need to install that sponge right away or first let the ammonia build in the tank and then put that media in the filter?

If you get the appropriate amount of BB filled media to care for the quantity of waste produced in the tank from the inhabitants you will not need to do a fishless cycle because the BB will be able to handle the load.

If there is a question of if the BB filled media can handle the bioload of the tank go with the "fish-in" cycle guidelines. As in checking daily or more so if necessary, if the parameters are staying in the safe zone.

If you get the appropriate amount of BB filled media to care for the quantity of waste produced in the tank from the inhabitants you will not need to do a fishless cycle because the BB will be able to handle the load.

If there is a question of if the BB filled media can handle the bioload of the tank go with the "fish-in" cycle guidelines. As in checking daily or more so if necessary, if the parameters are staying in the safe zone.
Thanks a lot Autumn. I have more questions please:

1) I will try to get a lot of established filter media from the store. They have so many tanks and I can get really good amount of media from them. The question is that if I install filter media right away and start tank with fish, how would I even know if the cycle is started or not?

Maybe tank would be instantly cycled as the bb available would be enough to break down the amonia by bio load? Correct me if I am wrong.

So isn't it a good idea to start the tank without the established filter media and add some source of amonia like fish food and check when the amonia readings start to build and spike and then add the established media and see when they start to lower down? In this way I ll know that the existing bb is working fine and will be sure that tank is cycled fully when things become normal? Please advise.*

2) If I do a cycle with fish what fish is suggested? I google and found out about small schooling fish but if I put them in my tank I ll later have to take them all out which would be a pain. I don't want to keep small fish in this tank. Is there any good size fish I can keep if I do a cycle with fish? An Oscar maybe as they are hardy but not sure if they are ok with high toxicity or maybe a goldfish? I want to put as lees fish as I can so when later I need to take them out I won't have trouble finding them inside a 5 feet tank. (I don't want to let them inside because don't want them to be meal for the other big fish I ll put later). Please advise what big fish I can put during cycling and how many? My tank dimensions are 60 L x 18 W × 20 H (In inches). Its about 95 gallon tank. Please advise big fish I can have and how many?

3) Seachem Prime detoxify ammonia so is it advisable to use that during cycling, for the safety of the fish?

Thanks.

If the fish store will provide you with ample quantity of media, the tank will be cycled right off.

Just add fish.

Then test water as if it is a fish-in cycle for a week or 2 and monitor if there is any issues with danger zone parameters. Likely not, since the BB is converting waste/ammonia and being "cycled".

Why wait for 8 weeks of fishless cycling if you can get BB colonized media?

If it is because waiting to set up tank, you can still keep the media cycled by feeding it in a tub with aerated water. Feeding it fish flake food is simple and just do periodic water changes if it gets cloudy or stinky.

I wouldn't want to chase around a random fish or fishes either, unless they would be going into another tank in which I would be keeping them. :)

If the fish store will provide you with ample quantity of media, the tank will be cycled right off.

Just add fish.

Then test water as if it is a fish-in cycle for a week or 2 and monitor if there is any issues with danger zone parameters. Likely not, since the BB is converting waste/ammonia and being "cycled".

Why wait for 8 weeks of fishless cycling if you can get BB colonized media?

If it is because waiting to set up tank, you can still keep the media cycled by feeding it in a tub with aerated water. Feeding it fish flake food is simple and just do periodic water changes if it gets cloudy or stinky.

I wouldn't want to chase around a random fish or fishes either, unless they would be going into another tank in which I would be keeping them. :)
Thanks dear. So what you mean to say is that I can proceed with the fish which I want to keep instead of getting a fish just for the purpose of cycling?

Yes, I ll try to get a lot of media. Mainly sponge media from a tank which is setup for over an year or two.

Yes!

And if you add stock gradually you should likely not have any problems from the BB adapting and growing large enough to cover a large tank.

Monitor as with any new tank set ups with water testing.

Yes!

And if you add stock gradually you should likely not have any problems from the BB adapting and growing large enough to cover a large tank.

Monitor as with any new tank set ups with water testing.
Thanks dear. I got API freshwater kit. I will keep track of my water parameters. In case something went wrong, Prime is there to rescue? As far as I understand even if ammonia is present it detoxify it, Am I right?

That's correct about Prime but you'd pretty much have to dose it daily until you got your parameters under control

With BB already in filter media should a good start.

And yes false positive can happen with the ammonia converted to ammonium. I did read there is a test which can measure free ammonia bs. The ammonium. But that is the end of my small knowledge base. Any time I need to know about this stuff I will read up on several different articles to get a good overview.

That's correct about Prime but you'd pretty much have to dose it daily until you got your parameters under control
With BB already in filter media should a good start.

And yes false positive can happen with the ammonia converted to ammonium. I did read there is a test which can measure free ammonia bs. The ammonium. But that is the end of my small knowledge base. Any time I need to know about this stuff I will read up on several different articles to get a good overview.
Thanks a lot.

African cichlids most probably. I seen this dolphin cichlid and fell in love with the dark blue color. Then some others which I never paid attention to looks very beautiful when they grow big. Seen some big cichlids at a store and I got very impressed by their solid colors. They looked like saltwater fish really.

Also want to add a bunch of parrots but not sure if its ok to mix parrot fish with African cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom